DailyDirt: Sleeping Might Not Be Over-rated

from the urls-we-dig-up dept

It's still a bit mysterious why sleep is so necessary. Some people seem to need more than others, and there's at least one guy who claims he doesn't need sleep at all. Here are just a few more tidbits on the topic of sleeping, for all of you sleepyheads and night owls. By the way, StumbleUpon can recommend some good Techdirt articles, too.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 11th, 2012 @ 5:11pm

polyphasci sleep!

sleepin only a couple hrs/day sounds good to me! but the part whre you can't stay awake for 8hrs straight puts a pretty huge monkeywrench in the works.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 11th, 2012 @ 5:53pm

could always try this one

Anonymous Coward, Jan 11th, 2012 @ 5:59pm

They're special

"where parts of these rat brains shut down while the rat is still conscious" - sounds like most politicians...

mm777 (profile), Jan 11th, 2012 @ 6:24pm

i am the 1-2%

i need 12 hours of sleep to function normally.

Michael Ho (profile), Jan 11th, 2012 @ 7:16pm

Re: could always try this one

nice xkcd find....

Anonymous Coward, Jan 11th, 2012 @ 7:23pm

Narcolepsy suffer confirms that restful sleep is not over rated

I suffer from Narcolepsy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy

When I sleep I go into REM sleep nearly instantly so my brain never gets any restful sleep.

The only way I can get good restful sleep is to take expensive medication Xyrem which is a form of GHB, one of the "date rape" drugs.

Marie, Jan 11th, 2012 @ 7:43pm

I'm definitely in the 10+ to function range. Glad to see there's research to back me up.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 11th, 2012 @ 8:00pm

Re: Re: could always try this one

If it worth knowing, XKCD has done a comic about it.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 11th, 2012 @ 8:38pm

Re: They're special

Not really. It said parts of the brain, not the whole thing.

Michael Ho (profile), Jan 11th, 2012 @ 10:44pm

Re: Narcolepsy suffer confirms that restful sleep is not over rated

thankfully, you've found something that helps you get some restful sleep..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12th, 2012 @ 2:42am

I keep thinking I would be happier with something like a 26-hour day.

Jeff F, Jan 12th, 2012 @ 6:58am

Vitamin D3

I've had various degrees of insomnia and have tried over the counter med's, marijuana (inhaled and digested), Homeopathic's, alcohol, and prescriptions that caused very negative side effects. The one thing that did help the most was Vitamin D3 which helps produce melatonin in the body.

Rekrul, Jan 12th, 2012 @ 8:00am

The shorter sleep schedule sounds appealing, but I can never fall asleep that fast.

nasch (profile), Jan 12th, 2012 @ 11:56am

I keep thinking I would be happier with something like a 26-hour day.

Most people's natural clocks are set to about 25 hours for some reason, so you're probably right.

Eugene, Nov 5th, 2013 @ 4:36pm

SmartSleep project

Hi, guys. I am a polyphasic sleeper for almost 2 years and I sleep 4,5 hours a day. Me and my friends made lots of experiments on this fied and we want to share our experience. We decided to create a mobile application that would be an essential guide to polyphasic sleep experience for everyone.

We alredy have a functioning prototype that we use in our everyday life, but we need funds to finish it and launch to pruduction. So we created a company on kickstarter.

We apreciate any feedback, proposals and contributions. If you have any questions please contact us.