by Mike Masnick
Thu, Jul 29th 2010 2:12am
Ah, the perils of lawyers confused about the internet. Reader kb alerts us to the news of lawyer Jose Baez, who apparently has received plenty of attention for defending Casey Anthony, a mother who stands accused of killing her 2-year-old child. Apparently, some of the blogs that are reporting on the case pulled some photos from Baez's Facebook profile and Photoshopped them to include in blog posts. Baez's response is to threaten a lawsuit against those bloggers saying it's copyright infringement, while pulling down all of his photos. As kb notes, it appears that this lawyer doesn't seem to understand copyright law, fair use, Facebook's privacy settings or the Streisand Effect in that this effort is only drawing that much more attention to the blog posts he's upset about. Nice work.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- United Arab Emirates Makes Using A VPN A Crime... To Protect The Local Telcos From VoIP Competition
- Photographer Sues Getty Images For $1 Billion For Claiming Copyright On Photos She Donated To The Public
- Russian Copyright Law Allows Entire News Site To Be Shut Down Over A Single Copied Article
- IP Lawyers Tell Copyright Office To Stop Screwing The Public By Opposing Cable Box Reform
- EU Data Protection Official Says Revised Privacy Laws Should Ban Backdooring Encryption