by Mike Masnick
Thu, Jul 29th 2010 2:12am
Ah, the perils of lawyers confused about the internet. Reader kb alerts us to the news of lawyer Jose Baez, who apparently has received plenty of attention for defending Casey Anthony, a mother who stands accused of killing her 2-year-old child. Apparently, some of the blogs that are reporting on the case pulled some photos from Baez's Facebook profile and Photoshopped them to include in blog posts. Baez's response is to threaten a lawsuit against those bloggers saying it's copyright infringement, while pulling down all of his photos. As kb notes, it appears that this lawyer doesn't seem to understand copyright law, fair use, Facebook's privacy settings or the Streisand Effect in that this effort is only drawing that much more attention to the blog posts he's upset about. Nice work.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- If You're Learning About It From Slate, Running Your Own Email Server Is A Horrendously Bad Idea
- France Passes Copyright Law Demanding Royalties For Every Image Search Engines Index Online
- Newspaper Archive Disappears From Google, Because Company Wants To Cash In
- Team Prenda Done Fighting Judge Otis Wright
- If You're Angry About Twitter Banning Someone 'Permanently' For Sharing Olympics GIFs, Blame Copyright Law