by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jul 16th 2010 11:32am
Brendan was the first to alert us to the story of how the "girl" who is in the image used on the cover of the last Vampire Weekend album is now suing the band.
She claims the photographer who licensed the image to the band for $5,000 didn't take the photograph and forged a model release. If true, those are serious charges... but should be entirely focused on the photographer. She is suing the photographer, but also claims that the band is responsible for not checking into it, which seems pretty far fetched. Even more ridiculous? She claims that her image is one of the main reasons the album sold so well, so she wants $2 million. Does she really think that if the band had put a different image of a girl staring off into space on the cover, there would have been noticeably different sales?
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- LAPD Detains A Photographer For 'Interfering' With A Police Investigation... From 90 Feet Away
- DailyDirt: A Logo With Any Other Name..?
- For Lady Gaga, Copyright Not About Music, But Her Image
- Photographer Makes One-Third Of His Living Expenses Off Only 94 Fans
- Content As Advertising; Advertising As Content On The iPhone