by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jun 22nd 2010 2:37am
A bunch of folks have been submitting various stories, like this one sent in by cc, saying that Senator Joe Lieberman is trying to give Obama an internet kill switch. We didn't cover it because it's quite exaggerated. We actually had already covered the new legislation in a post a couple weeks ago, and while we disagree both with the legislation and the need for such legislation, exaggerating what it's about does no one any good. However, it does seem that all of the negative publicity has Lieberman quickly trying to clarify what the bill really means and make it clear that it does not actually give the federal government any sort of "kill switch." The idea is just that, if there actually is an attack from a certain country, there's more of a coordinated plan to reroute traffic.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- DailyDirt: GMO, GMO, Wherefore Art Thou, GMO?
- Dangerously Underpowered NSA Begging Legislators For Permission To Go To Cyberwar
- Rep. Mike Rogers, On His Way Out Of Congress, Slams Obama For Not Launching Premature Cyberwar Against North Korea
- Money And Power: The Real Reason For The NSA Spying On Everyone
- Bad Idea: California Legislature Passes Bill To Mandate Mobile Phone Kill Switches