by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jun 8th 2010 9:00am
Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it won't stop Universal Music from sending their legal dogs after you. Reader Jamie points us to the news that Universal Music is threatening a bunch of Abba tribute bands for using the Abba name. Universal is claiming that people are "being misled" by the tribute bands -- though, it's not clear how many people actually go see a tribute band thinking it's the real thing. Either way, the whole concept seems pretty silly. Here are these bands that are helping to promote the original music and the real band for Universal, and they're trying to stop them.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Musician Demands Google, Major Labels Pay Him $325 Million For Removing Videos He Paid $30 To Upload To Vevo
- Early YouTube Musician Explains How Signing Major Label Deal 'Nearly Destroyed My Career'
- How Record Labels Conspired To Kill Off Public Domain Beatles Music In Canada
- Universal Music Has No Sense Of Humor, Takes Down Hilarious Twitter Profile Pun Parody Of Nirvana Song
- Split Works Debate Raises Thorny Issues For Music Companies (And For The Rest Of Us)