by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jun 8th 2010 9:00am
Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it won't stop Universal Music from sending their legal dogs after you. Reader Jamie points us to the news that Universal Music is threatening a bunch of Abba tribute bands for using the Abba name. Universal is claiming that people are "being misled" by the tribute bands -- though, it's not clear how many people actually go see a tribute band thinking it's the real thing. Either way, the whole concept seems pretty silly. Here are these bands that are helping to promote the original music and the real band for Universal, and they're trying to stop them.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Appeals Court Rejects Labels' Collusion Scheme To Try To Force Pandora To Pay Higher Rates
- Major Record Labels Use Lawsuit Against MP3Skull To Try To Backdoor In SOPA
- Labels Barely Release 1964 Dylan, Beach Boys Archive Materials Solely To Get Extended Copyrights
- Why We Can't Have Nice Things: Universal Music Takes Down Fun Mashup Of Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off' And 1989 Aerobics Video
- Major Labels Easily Win Lawsuit Against Grooveshark