was the first of a few of you to send over the amusing Cracked story on "5 Insane File Sharing Panics from Before the Internet."
If you're a regular reader of this site, none of these will be all that surprising to you. But, it does show that time and time again, the content industry, throughout history, has always claimed that new technologies will kill them off. And every time they've been totally and completely wrong. In fact, pretty much every time the opposite happened, and the new technology created massive new opportunities for growth. This particular list (and it's easy to add more to it) includes:
- VCR's Will Kill Television!
- Phonographs and Player Pianos Will Kill Music!
- Pirated BASIC Will Kill Software Development!
- The Cassette Will Kill Music! Again!
- The Printing Press Will Kill Literature!
What's amazing isn't just that the industry seems to freak out in this same way every single time
, but that politicians still fall for it.