by Mike Masnick
Tue, Mar 30th 2010 8:49am
It's the same old story we've seen over and over again: a new technology comes along and the industry it disrupts tries to demonize that technology as an evil that must be stopped. And yet, the "evil" never really turns out to be that bad, but it's sometimes amusing to go back and see what was said at the time. Karl Bode points us to this fun little commercial that network TV stations apparently put out in the early days of cable TV, warning how "pay TV is the monster in your living room." And, it urges viewers to "let your lawmakers know" in order to "save free television":
Of course, these days, we keep hearing about how the networks want more and more and more cash from the cable/satellite providers just to keep that "free TV" available. Funny how things work out...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Newspaper Archive Disappears From Google, Because Company Wants To Cash In
- This Week In Techdirt History: August 14th - 20th
- This Week In Techdirt History: August 7th - 13th
- This Week In Techdirt History: July 31st - August 6th
- Techdirt Reading List: The Copyright Wars: Three Centuries Of Trans-Atlantic Battle