by Mike Masnick
Thu, Feb 11th 2010 4:51am
paperbag was the first of a whole bunch of you to send in the news of Blockbuster declaring bankruptcy in Portugal and claiming that it's all the fault of those darn kids and their downloading. Well, more specifically, it blames the government for not doing enough to stop the sun from rising every morning... I mean, from stopping people from engaging in unauthorized file trading online. This is just an excuse for a company that failed to execute. The number of folks accessing unauthorized movies online is still a blip, and almost certainly had little impact on Blockbuster's bottom line. The simple fact is that Blockbuster, worldwide, has done a really poor job of adapting to a changing world.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- China's Richest Man Tells MPAA's Chris Dodd To Tell Donald Trump To Be Nice To China... Or Else
- Stupid Patent Of The Month: Movies From The Cloud
- Theater Association Boss Reminds Theater Owners, Netflix To Stay In Their Own Lanes
- Blockbuster Bankruptcy, Yet Again, Highlights How It's Not Easy To Just Copy The Disruptive Innovation
- Why Waiting Until A New Business Model Is Proven Doesn't Work