by Mike Masnick
Thu, Feb 11th 2010 4:51am
paperbag was the first of a whole bunch of you to send in the news of Blockbuster declaring bankruptcy in Portugal and claiming that it's all the fault of those darn kids and their downloading. Well, more specifically, it blames the government for not doing enough to stop the sun from rising every morning... I mean, from stopping people from engaging in unauthorized file trading online. This is just an excuse for a company that failed to execute. The number of folks accessing unauthorized movies online is still a blip, and almost certainly had little impact on Blockbuster's bottom line. The simple fact is that Blockbuster, worldwide, has done a really poor job of adapting to a changing world.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Netflix Keeps Losing Mainstream Movies, Informs Users They Should Be Ok With That Because Of Adam Sandler
- Colorado Judge Ignores First Amendment, Allows Prior Restraint In Banning Aretha Franklin Film
- TSA At The Movies: Theater Chain Looks To Bring Security Theater To The Movie Theater
- Blockbuster Bankruptcy, Yet Again, Highlights How It's Not Easy To Just Copy The Disruptive Innovation
- Why Waiting Until A New Business Model Is Proven Doesn't Work