by Mike Masnick
Thu, Dec 31st 2009 6:19am
theodp writes "The USPTO has granted IBM a patent covering the Resolution of Abbreviated Text in an Electronic Communications System, lawyer-speak for translating "IMHO" to "In My Humble Opinion" and vice versa. From the patent: "One particularly useful application of the invention is to interpret the meaning of shorthand terms...For example, one database may define the shorthand term 'LOL' to mean 'laughing out loud.'" So much for Big Blue's professed aim of stopping "bad behavior" by companies who seek patents for unoriginal work!"
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Patent Loving East Texas Judge Clips Wings Of Largest Patent Troll
- DailyDirt: Can't We Just Play Games For Fun?
- Company Acquires Rights To Drug Used By AIDS/Cancer Patients; Immediately Raises Per Pill Price From Under $14 To $750
- Court Trashes Patent Troll For Bogus Lawsuit Against Zynga; Awards Over $1 Million In Fees & Sanctions
- DailyDirt: It's Not Just A Good Idea... It's Moore's Law