by Mike Masnick
Thu, Dec 31st 2009 6:19am
theodp writes "The USPTO has granted IBM a patent covering the Resolution of Abbreviated Text in an Electronic Communications System, lawyer-speak for translating "IMHO" to "In My Humble Opinion" and vice versa. From the patent: "One particularly useful application of the invention is to interpret the meaning of shorthand terms...For example, one database may define the shorthand term 'LOL' to mean 'laughing out loud.'" So much for Big Blue's professed aim of stopping "bad behavior" by companies who seek patents for unoriginal work!"
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Contrary To What You've Heard, TPP Will Undermine US Law -- Including Supreme Court Decisions
- Obviously, No One Ever Would Have Thought Of Remote Controlled Sex Toys Without This Patent
- Chinese Smartphone Leader Xiaomi Adds Special New Feature In Order To Enter US Market -- A Patent Hoard
- DailyDirt: It's Not Just A Good Idea... It's Moore's Law
- DailyDirt: Recipes Analyzed By Algorithms