by Mike Masnick
Thu, Nov 5th 2009 8:43pm
Lord Mandelson, the UK Business Secretary who has been the leading force behind putting in place the entertainment industry's desired plan to require ISPs to kick accused file sharers off the internet under a "three strikes" plan, apparently is also saying that young people need better technology skills. Along with that, he's supporting a plan to get universities to do more technical skills training. Now, I'm all for more tech skills training in universities, but wouldn't it be nice if Mandelson started by getting some tech skills training himself -- including a basic understanding of why an IP address is not an accurate indicator of who is doing something online? Or, perhaps, an understanding of how BitTorrent actually works and a brief primer on encryption technologies....
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- BBC Now Training Its Secret, Likely Imaginary, Fleet Of Detector Vans On Your WiFi
- Why Is The UK's Intellectual Property Office Praising National Portrait Gallery's Copyfraud Claims Over Public Domain Images?
- Polish Authorities Demand British Law Enforcement Interrogate Tor Exit Node Operator About Information He Doesn't Have
- As UK Piracy Falls To Record Lows, Government Still Wants To Put Pirates In Jail For 10 Years
- Reports Shows UK Police Improperly Accessed Data On Citizens Thousands Of Times