by Mike Masnick
Thu, Nov 5th 2009 8:43pm
Lord Mandelson, the UK Business Secretary who has been the leading force behind putting in place the entertainment industry's desired plan to require ISPs to kick accused file sharers off the internet under a "three strikes" plan, apparently is also saying that young people need better technology skills. Along with that, he's supporting a plan to get universities to do more technical skills training. Now, I'm all for more tech skills training in universities, but wouldn't it be nice if Mandelson started by getting some tech skills training himself -- including a basic understanding of why an IP address is not an accurate indicator of who is doing something online? Or, perhaps, an understanding of how BitTorrent actually works and a brief primer on encryption technologies....
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Head Of UK Parliamentary Committee Overseeing Intelligence Agencies Resigns After Being Caught In Sting
- Humiliating Admission By UK Government That Yet More Of Its Surveillance Was Unlawful
- UK Intellectual Property Office Plays Up Imaginary 'Toxic' Claim In Grabbing Food Pretending To Be From Somewhere Else
- UK Police Forces Have Secret Facial Recognition Database Of 18 Million People, Many Innocent
- GCHQ Will Have To Start Letting Everyone Know Whether Or Not They've Been Illegally Spied On