by Mike Masnick
Thu, Nov 5th 2009 8:43pm
Lord Mandelson, the UK Business Secretary who has been the leading force behind putting in place the entertainment industry's desired plan to require ISPs to kick accused file sharers off the internet under a "three strikes" plan, apparently is also saying that young people need better technology skills. Along with that, he's supporting a plan to get universities to do more technical skills training. Now, I'm all for more tech skills training in universities, but wouldn't it be nice if Mandelson started by getting some tech skills training himself -- including a basic understanding of why an IP address is not an accurate indicator of who is doing something online? Or, perhaps, an understanding of how BitTorrent actually works and a brief primer on encryption technologies....
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- UK's Health Secretary Has The Solution To Cyberbullying & Sexting: Nerds Should Nerd Harder
- UK Police Circumventing Cellphone Encryption By 'Mugging' Suspects While Their Phones Are Unlocked
- Who Gets To Trademark Iceland?
- Parliament Passes Snooper's Charter, Opens Up Citizens To Whole New Levels Of Domestic Surviellance
- UK Home Secretary Agrees To Turn Over Accused Hacker Lauri Love To US Government