by Mike Masnick
Thu, Nov 5th 2009 8:43pm
Lord Mandelson, the UK Business Secretary who has been the leading force behind putting in place the entertainment industry's desired plan to require ISPs to kick accused file sharers off the internet under a "three strikes" plan, apparently is also saying that young people need better technology skills. Along with that, he's supporting a plan to get universities to do more technical skills training. Now, I'm all for more tech skills training in universities, but wouldn't it be nice if Mandelson started by getting some tech skills training himself -- including a basic understanding of why an IP address is not an accurate indicator of who is doing something online? Or, perhaps, an understanding of how BitTorrent actually works and a brief primer on encryption technologies....
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- New Whistleblower Claims UK's Nuclear Submarine Fleet A 'Disaster Waiting To Happen'
- Tired Of Losing Legal Challenges To Its Surveillance, UK Government Secretly Changes Law So It Can Win
- UK Government Review Says Use Prizes, Not Patents, To Produce Much-Needed New Antibiotics
- UK Plans To Do Away With Free Speech... In The Name Of Free Speech
- UK Tribunal Rules GCHQ Conducted Illegal Surveillance And Must Destroy Legally Privileged Documents