by Mike Masnick
Thu, Nov 5th 2009 8:43pm
Lord Mandelson, the UK Business Secretary who has been the leading force behind putting in place the entertainment industry's desired plan to require ISPs to kick accused file sharers off the internet under a "three strikes" plan, apparently is also saying that young people need better technology skills. Along with that, he's supporting a plan to get universities to do more technical skills training. Now, I'm all for more tech skills training in universities, but wouldn't it be nice if Mandelson started by getting some tech skills training himself -- including a basic understanding of why an IP address is not an accurate indicator of who is doing something online? Or, perhaps, an understanding of how BitTorrent actually works and a brief primer on encryption technologies....
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- David Cameron Promises To Do Away With 'Safe Spaces' On The Internet
- Amnesty International Told That GCHQ Spied On Its Communications
- UK Officials Hoping To Change Freedom Of Information Law To Include Less Of Both
- UK Politician Theresa May Tries To Out-Orwell Orwell With Insanely Authoritarian Speech
- European Taxi Drivers Lose Their Collective Mind Over Uber