by Mike Masnick
Thu, Nov 5th 2009 8:43pm
Lord Mandelson, the UK Business Secretary who has been the leading force behind putting in place the entertainment industry's desired plan to require ISPs to kick accused file sharers off the internet under a "three strikes" plan, apparently is also saying that young people need better technology skills. Along with that, he's supporting a plan to get universities to do more technical skills training. Now, I'm all for more tech skills training in universities, but wouldn't it be nice if Mandelson started by getting some tech skills training himself -- including a basic understanding of why an IP address is not an accurate indicator of who is doing something online? Or, perhaps, an understanding of how BitTorrent actually works and a brief primer on encryption technologies....
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- UK Police Deny Misspelling Led To Investigation, Say It Was Other Schoolwork Instead
- How The UK's Counter-Terrorism And Security Act Has Made Law Enforcement Into The Literal Grammar Police
- What's The Difference Between 'Mass Surveillance' And 'Bulk Collection'? Does It Matter?
- UK Appeals Court Says UK Terrorism Act's Detention Clause Violates Press Freedoms
- Former NSA Whistleblower Bill Binney Warns UK Lawmakers Mass Surveillance Will 'Cost Lives In Britain'