by Mike Masnick
Thu, Nov 5th 2009 8:43pm
Lord Mandelson, the UK Business Secretary who has been the leading force behind putting in place the entertainment industry's desired plan to require ISPs to kick accused file sharers off the internet under a "three strikes" plan, apparently is also saying that young people need better technology skills. Along with that, he's supporting a plan to get universities to do more technical skills training. Now, I'm all for more tech skills training in universities, but wouldn't it be nice if Mandelson started by getting some tech skills training himself -- including a basic understanding of why an IP address is not an accurate indicator of who is doing something online? Or, perhaps, an understanding of how BitTorrent actually works and a brief primer on encryption technologies....
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- UK Schools Experiment With Police-Style Body Cameras To Tackle 'Low-level Background Disorder'
- After Passing Worst Surveillance Law In A Democracy, UK Now Proposes Worst Anti-Whistleblowing Law
- First Look At UK Piracy Alert System: Mostly Benign, Except ISPs Are Requesting Filesharing Software Be Removed By Clients
- UK Police Spy On Journalists At Small Town Paper, Gather One Million Minutes Worth Of Call Data
- UK Train Operators Plan To Charge Passengers Using Their Biometrics