by Mike Masnick
Mon, Aug 31st 2009 12:23pm
In-law jokes are a pretty standard staple of the standup comedy business. They can be pretty funny too... even if the concept is a bit dated. But, apparently, they're not so funny to the in-laws of comedian Sunda Croonquist. ChurchHatesTucker alerts us to the news that Croonquist's mother-in-law and sister-in-law are suing the comedian for cracking rather typical "in-law" jokes, which, apparently the in-laws didn't find to be all that funny. They're suing for defamation, even though you have to wonder if anyone actually takes such jokes seriously. I mean, it's a comedian. Of course the jokes are either made up or exaggerated for comedic effect. Still, probably makes for a frosty family gathering.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Peter Thiel's Lawyer Now Sending Questionable Defamation Threat Letters To Media On Behalf Of Melania Trump
- Judge Who Signed 'Criminal Defamation' Warrant For Sheriff's Raid Of Blogger's House Says Warrant Perfectly Fine
- Good Ruling In California Protects Anonymity Of Online Critics -- Even When The Information Was False
- Canadian Comedian Plans To Appeal $42k For A Joke That Insulted Someone
- How California's Identity Fraud Law Has Been Interpreted To Criminalize Defamation, Publicity Rights Violations And More