by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jul 21st 2009 2:41pm
It would appear that the typical late-night TV comedian in the US would face serious jailtime in Pakistan, were he based there. MK alerts us that President Asif Ali Zardari of Pakistan is so annoyed by people passing around jokes about him via SMS that the gov't has started threatening to charge people for passing around such jokes, as "slandering the political leadership of the country" under a vaguely worded Cyber Crimes law, that could lead to 14 years in jail. It seems that should only lead to more jokes. How does one get to be a political leader with such a thin skin?
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Israeli Company Claims Its Software Can Look At Your Face And Determine If You're A Terrorist Or Murderer
- USTR: Foreign Governments Engaging In Censorship And Rights Abuses Should Add IP Enforcement To Their 'To Do' Lists
- Comedian Could Face 3 Years In German (Not Turkish!) Jail For Mocking Notoriously Thin-Skinned Turkish President
- French Parliament Votes For Law That Would Put Tech Execs In Jail If They Don't Decrypt Data
- Pakistan Orders ISPs To Block 429,343 Websites Completely, Because There's Porn On The Internet