by Mike Masnick
Mon, Jun 15th 2009 5:43pm
It appears that the Federal Treasury really is searching for cash under the cushions these days. Its latest idea? Claiming that mobile phones provided by employers are actually a "fringe benefit" that should be taxed. So even if your company pays for your mobile phone, you may owe the IRS taxes on it. The mobile operators are fighting this, but given the state of the economy, it shouldn't be much of a surprise if the IRS moves forward with this.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Congress Tries Once Again To Require Warrants To Search Emails
- Coinbase User (Also, Class Action Lawyer) Files To Intervene In Case Where IRS Wants Info On All Coinbase Users
- Court Rubber Stamps IRS's Demand To Get All Coinbase User Data
- IRS Demands All Info On All Coinbase Customers
- Argentina Orders Telecoms To Create A Permanent Database Of All Mobile Phone Users