by Mike Masnick
Mon, Jun 8th 2009 9:16am
It seems there's never a shortage of folks trying to get listed in the new feature about stupid criminals giving themselves away. We just had the bank robber who bragged about his escapades on MySpace, and now we have a story about a girl (under the legal drinking age) awaiting trial for vehicular homicide for driving drunk and killing a motorcyclist. Apparently, as a part of her bail while waiting for trial, she was not to drink alcohol or spend time with people drinking alcohol. So, now she's in a bit of trouble after authorities found photos of her drinking alcohol with college friends on Facebook. Apparently, she never thought anyone would notice. The judge, however, is now forcing her to wear a special ankle bracelet that senses alcohol in perspiration. Either way, once again, it's nice to see that for all the moral panic talk about the "harm" done by social networks, some law enforcement folks are using it to actually catch criminals.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Court Shuts Down Argument That Warrantless Seizures Of Cell Phones Is Fine Because Criminals Use Cell Phones
- NYPD Says Releasing Basic Stingray Contract Info Will Result In A Supercriminal Apocalypse
- Canadian City Wants To Solve Crime Problem By Using Tracking Technology That Doesn't Exist
- BlackBerry -- Which Said It Wouldn't Protect Criminals -- Assures Criminals Its Phones Are Still Secure
- Dumb Criminal Agrees To Take SnapChat Selfie With Robbery Victim, Is Caught Quickly