by Mike Masnick
Wed, Jun 3rd 2009 4:45am
Back in November, when Craigslist first caved in to misguided complaints from various state AGs, we pointed out that this wouldn't do anything to stop prostitution -- it would just make it go elsewhere. And, indeed, that's exactly what happened. But, of course, that wasn't enough for the AGs who started grandstanding again a couple months ago, leading Craigslist to cave in again. So... what do you think is happening? Well, reader mikez points to a report noting a sudden and unexpected spike in adult classified ads in alternative weekly papers who had seen their business hit hard as such ads transferred to Craigslist. And, of course, as Craigslist had already pointed out, many of the ads showing up in those alt papers were already much more explicit than anything on Craigslist. In the meantime... with all these regular newspapers looking for additional business models, maybe they should start accepting those types of ads...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Cable's Answer To A Changing TV Landscape? Stuff More Ads Into Every Hour
- DailyDirt: Advertising Needs To Be More Considerate
- Brazen Young Facebook Pimpette Nabbed By Police After She Bragged About Her Crimes On Facebook
- Judge's Overly Broad Discovery Order About Online Critics Allows Ubervita To Bully More Authors Of Critical Reviews
- DailyDirt: Advertising Is Content, And It's Often Better When It's Amusing