by Mike Masnick
Thu, May 28th 2009 7:11pm
In the early days of large scale data leaks online, the mantra one heard over and over again was "encryption, encryption, encryption!" Yet, encryption alone doesn't do much good, if you tape the passwords to decrypt the data to the storage device itself (found via Michael Scott). Yet, whaddaya know? That's exactly what happened in a recent data breach in the UK, though I'm sure similar breaches happen all over the world. This is what happens when someone preaches a specific action in security, rather than actual secure thinking and planning.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Both Michael Hayden And Michael Chertoff Surprise Everyone By Saying FBI Is Wrong To Try To Backdoor Encryption
- IRS Encrypts An Entire CD Of Redacted Documents In Response To FOIA Request
- NY Times Falsely Claims ISIS Is Using Encryption & Couriers Because Snowden
- Washington Post Observes Encryption War 2.0 For Several Months, Learns Absolutely Nothing
- East Texas Court Finally Issues Newegg Order Two Years Late; Judge Upset About How Newegg Handled Things