by Mike Masnick
Thu, May 28th 2009 7:11pm
In the early days of large scale data leaks online, the mantra one heard over and over again was "encryption, encryption, encryption!" Yet, encryption alone doesn't do much good, if you tape the passwords to decrypt the data to the storage device itself (found via Michael Scott). Yet, whaddaya know? That's exactly what happened in a recent data breach in the UK, though I'm sure similar breaches happen all over the world. This is what happens when someone preaches a specific action in security, rather than actual secure thinking and planning.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Former Spies' Dubious Claim: Release Of NSA's Windows Exploits Has Seriously Harmed National Security
- DHS Boss Calls For More Fear, Less Encryption
- Moderate French Presidential Candidate Suggests He May Pressure US Tech Companies Into Creating Encryption Backdoors
- Court Strikes Probation Restrictions Banning Teen From Using Encryption, Accessing Internet For Personal Reasons
- Privacy And National Security Concerns Play Second Fiddle To Administration's Attempts To Control The Narrative