by Mike Masnick
Thu, May 28th 2009 7:11pm
In the early days of large scale data leaks online, the mantra one heard over and over again was "encryption, encryption, encryption!" Yet, encryption alone doesn't do much good, if you tape the passwords to decrypt the data to the storage device itself (found via Michael Scott). Yet, whaddaya know? That's exactly what happened in a recent data breach in the UK, though I'm sure similar breaches happen all over the world. This is what happens when someone preaches a specific action in security, rather than actual secure thinking and planning.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Despite Administration's Promises, Most Government Transparency Still The Work Of Whistleblowers And Leakers
- Hillary Clinton's Staff Recognize She Doesn't Understand Encryption And Is Supporting 'The Impossible'
- FBI Tests The Waters On Another Attempt To Force Apple To Unlock An iPhone
- Feds Gagged Encrypted Communications Firm Open Whisper Systems Over Massively Overbroad Subpoena
- FBI's Comey: Actually, Chasing ISIS Off Twitter Makes It More Difficult For Us To Follow Them