by Mike Masnick
Thu, May 28th 2009 7:11pm
In the early days of large scale data leaks online, the mantra one heard over and over again was "encryption, encryption, encryption!" Yet, encryption alone doesn't do much good, if you tape the passwords to decrypt the data to the storage device itself (found via Michael Scott). Yet, whaddaya know? That's exactly what happened in a recent data breach in the UK, though I'm sure similar breaches happen all over the world. This is what happens when someone preaches a specific action in security, rather than actual secure thinking and planning.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Encryption Backdoors Will Always Turn Around And Bite You In The Ass
- Disappointing: Google Not Yet Requiring Phone Makers To Encrypt By Default
- President Obama Complains To China About Demanding Backdoors To Encryption... As His Administration Demands The Same Thing
- Paypal Cuts Off Mega Because It Actually Keeps Your Files Secret
- Gemalto: Ok, Yes, We Were Hacked, And Yes Some SIM Cards May Be Compromised, But Not Because Of Us