by Mike Masnick
Thu, May 28th 2009 7:11pm
In the early days of large scale data leaks online, the mantra one heard over and over again was "encryption, encryption, encryption!" Yet, encryption alone doesn't do much good, if you tape the passwords to decrypt the data to the storage device itself (found via Michael Scott). Yet, whaddaya know? That's exactly what happened in a recent data breach in the UK, though I'm sure similar breaches happen all over the world. This is what happens when someone preaches a specific action in security, rather than actual secure thinking and planning.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Third Circuit Appeals Court Says All Writs Orders Can Be Used To Compel Passwords For Decryption
- Arkansas Legislators Want To Make Corporate Whistleblowing Illegal
- Former CIA Director Blame Millennials Lack Of Loyalty For All The Government Leaks
- Despite Stream Of Leaks Exposing Tremendous Gov't Surveillance Capabilities, James Comey Still Complaining About 'Going Dark'
- CIA Leak Shows Mobile Phones Vulnerable, Not Encryption