by Mike Masnick
Thu, May 28th 2009 7:11pm
In the early days of large scale data leaks online, the mantra one heard over and over again was "encryption, encryption, encryption!" Yet, encryption alone doesn't do much good, if you tape the passwords to decrypt the data to the storage device itself (found via Michael Scott). Yet, whaddaya know? That's exactly what happened in a recent data breach in the UK, though I'm sure similar breaches happen all over the world. This is what happens when someone preaches a specific action in security, rather than actual secure thinking and planning.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Congressional Reps Submit Bill Banning Encryption Bans
- Senator John McCain Weighs In On 'Going Dark' Debate -- Insists That He Understands Cryptography Better Than Cryptographers
- New Report Debunks FBI's 'Going Dark' FUD
- ISIS's Encrypted Messaging App Isn't Real; But Backdooring Encryption Still Won't Help The NSA
- AT&T CEO Thinks You're A Forgetful Idiot, Hilariously Gives Apple Encryption Advice