by Mike Masnick
Thu, May 28th 2009 7:11pm
In the early days of large scale data leaks online, the mantra one heard over and over again was "encryption, encryption, encryption!" Yet, encryption alone doesn't do much good, if you tape the passwords to decrypt the data to the storage device itself (found via Michael Scott). Yet, whaddaya know? That's exactly what happened in a recent data breach in the UK, though I'm sure similar breaches happen all over the world. This is what happens when someone preaches a specific action in security, rather than actual secure thinking and planning.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Just To Be Safe, We're Resetting All Techdirt Passwords In Response To Cloudbleed
- Coalition Slams DHS Plans To Demand Social Media Passwords
- The Fifth Amendment Vs. Indefinite Jailing: Court Still No Closer To Deciding On Compelled Decryption
- New Report On Encryption Confirms There's More Of It, But Still Not Much Of A Problem For Law Enforcement
- Get Ready For 'Leak Investigations' In The Trump White House