by Mike Masnick
Thu, May 28th 2009 7:11pm
In the early days of large scale data leaks online, the mantra one heard over and over again was "encryption, encryption, encryption!" Yet, encryption alone doesn't do much good, if you tape the passwords to decrypt the data to the storage device itself (found via Michael Scott). Yet, whaddaya know? That's exactly what happened in a recent data breach in the UK, though I'm sure similar breaches happen all over the world. This is what happens when someone preaches a specific action in security, rather than actual secure thinking and planning.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- As FBI Fearmongers About 'Going Dark' Because Of Encryption, Actual Wiretaps Almost Never Run Into Encryption
- David Cameron Promises To Do Away With 'Safe Spaces' On The Internet
- Two Overlooked Aspects Of Those Leaks About NSA Spying On French Presidents
- Bruce Schneier: Sure, Russia & China Probably Have The Snowden Docs... But Not Because Of Snowden
- FBI, While Hating On Encryption, Starts Encrypting All Visits To Its Website