by Mike Masnick
Thu, May 28th 2009 7:11pm
In the early days of large scale data leaks online, the mantra one heard over and over again was "encryption, encryption, encryption!" Yet, encryption alone doesn't do much good, if you tape the passwords to decrypt the data to the storage device itself (found via Michael Scott). Yet, whaddaya know? That's exactly what happened in a recent data breach in the UK, though I'm sure similar breaches happen all over the world. This is what happens when someone preaches a specific action in security, rather than actual secure thinking and planning.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Canadian Law Enforcement Want Government To Force People To Turn Over Their Passwords
- French Government Wants A 'Global Initiative' To Undermine Encryption And Put Everyone At Risk
- Volkswagen Created A 'Backdoor' To Basically All Its Cars... And Now Hackers Can Open All Of Them
- Will DNC Email Hacking Make Legislators More Friendly To Encryption?
- The Rise Of More Secure Alternatives To Everyone's Favorite Chat App, Slack