by Mike Masnick
Thu, May 28th 2009 7:11pm
In the early days of large scale data leaks online, the mantra one heard over and over again was "encryption, encryption, encryption!" Yet, encryption alone doesn't do much good, if you tape the passwords to decrypt the data to the storage device itself (found via Michael Scott). Yet, whaddaya know? That's exactly what happened in a recent data breach in the UK, though I'm sure similar breaches happen all over the world. This is what happens when someone preaches a specific action in security, rather than actual secure thinking and planning.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- As Part Of Its War On Encryption, Russia Briefly Blocks All Of Wikipedia Over One Weed Reference
- AT&T Injecting Ads Into Its Wi-Fi Hotspot Data Streams
- Ashley Madison Continues To Use Dubious Legal Takedown Threats To Try To Disappear The Data It Failed To Protect
- Appeals Court: Yes, The FTC Can Go After Companies That Got Hacked Over Their Weak Security Practices
- Jeb Bush Claims That Creating Encryption Harms America