by Mike Masnick
Fri, May 22nd 2009 7:43pm
Now this ought to be fun to watch. We've written plenty of stuff about the ongoing legal fight between artist Shephard Fairey and the Associated Press. And, every time we write about it, someone always points out that Fairey is often just as bad as the AP. Despite being an "appropriation" artist, who regularly uses the works of others in his own work (something we think is great), he's also been known to legally threaten others for doing the same with his own work. So, it looks like someone has decided to poke both with a stick, to see who gets provoked first. That someone is artist Evan Roth. ChurchHatesTucker alerts us that Roth has launched his "Intellectual Property Asshole Competition" where he is selling, via his website, hand-painted version of both the Mannie Garcia/AP photo and Shepard Fairey's poster... and will see who is the first to send him a cease and desist. While we never think it's a good idea to infringe for the sake of infringement, this ought to be fun to watch.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Copyright Troll Gets Fed; Resumes Torrent Lawsuits After Multiple Dismissals Led To A 19-Month Pause In Filings
- The US Government Should Release These 7,584 Fruit Paintings
- AT&T's DirecTV Deal Flies Under The Comcast-Hate Radar, Will Likely See FCC Approval
- Lawmaker Who Said Snowden Committed Treason, Now On The Other Side Of Metadata Surveillance
- White House Going With 'Security By Obscurity' As Excuse For Refusing To Release Healthcare.gov Security Details