by Mike Masnick
Mon, Apr 27th 2009 3:37am
the pirate bay
In a somewhat amusing joke, it looks like the folks behind The Pirate Bay have had their latest IPs listed as being controlled by the law firms involved in the prosecution against them. Some thought that somehow the law firms had taken control over the IP addresses, but it appears to be much more of a joke by The Pirate Bay folks, showing the prosecutors how IP info isn't universal truth. However, the timing of this little prank may have been a bit off, as The Pirate Bay site has been experiencing some downtime due to ISP issues totally unrelated to the IP addresses or to the trial (though, it didn't stop someone from emailing me that The Pirate Bay had been down for all of three minutes and something must be wrong!!!).
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Singapore Court Tosses Copyright Troll Cases Because IP Addresses Aren't Good Enough Evidence
- Cogent Accidentally Blocks Websites In Global Ham-Fisted Piracy Filtering Effort
- RIAA Demands Takedown Of ThePirateBay.org, But EasyDNS Refuses Over Lack Of Due Process
- How Bad Are Geolocation Tools? Really, Really Bad
- Australian Tribunal Says User's IP Address And URLs Visited Are Not Personal Information