by Mike Masnick
Wed, Apr 22nd 2009 1:33pm
It's pretty common for book publishers to send out free copies of their books to book reviewers and publications. It's part of the publicity effort that any new book tends to go through. However, in this day and age, pretty much everyone is a book reviewer thanks to blogs or Amazon... and one author is responding accordingly. ChurchHatesTucker alerts us to the news that author Charlie Finlay is offering a free copy of his book to anyone who promises to review it on Amazon. Basically, he knows that the best way to build buzz around the book is to actually get people to read it, and giving away the book to people who will provide that buzz is probably a cost effective way to get some attention. Now, some might question whether the reviewers will be "fair" because they received the book for free -- but that's true of most professional book reviewers already.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Plaintiff Awarded Damages In Default Judgment Against Censorious Dentist Who Billed Him $110,000 For His Negative Review
- Elon Musk Clarifies That Tesla's Patents Really Are Free; Investor Absolutely Freaks Out
- While Better Than Expected, New FAA Drone Rules Would Still Kill Some Promising Business Models
- Actress Seeking $1 Million From IMDb For Publishing Her Real Age Was Pulling In Less Than $2000 A Year
- Italian Regulators Fine TripAdvisor For Not Sniffing Out Every Single Fake Review On The Site