by Mike Masnick
Wed, Apr 22nd 2009 1:33pm
It's pretty common for book publishers to send out free copies of their books to book reviewers and publications. It's part of the publicity effort that any new book tends to go through. However, in this day and age, pretty much everyone is a book reviewer thanks to blogs or Amazon... and one author is responding accordingly. ChurchHatesTucker alerts us to the news that author Charlie Finlay is offering a free copy of his book to anyone who promises to review it on Amazon. Basically, he knows that the best way to build buzz around the book is to actually get people to read it, and giving away the book to people who will provide that buzz is probably a cost effective way to get some attention. Now, some might question whether the reviewers will be "fair" because they received the book for free -- but that's true of most professional book reviewers already.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- DailyDirt: Minimizing Pointy-Haired Bosses
- Legislators Introduce Bill Calling For Nationwide Ban On Non-Disparagement Clauses
- Complaints To FTC About Roca Labs Shows Company Threatening, Ignoring Unhappy Customers
- A Gronking To Remember Is Immortalized In Lawsuit Against Apple/Amazon/Author
- Amazon Quietly Bricked Jailbroken Kindle Devices Last Year