by Mike Masnick
Wed, Apr 22nd 2009 1:33pm
It's pretty common for book publishers to send out free copies of their books to book reviewers and publications. It's part of the publicity effort that any new book tends to go through. However, in this day and age, pretty much everyone is a book reviewer thanks to blogs or Amazon... and one author is responding accordingly. ChurchHatesTucker alerts us to the news that author Charlie Finlay is offering a free copy of his book to anyone who promises to review it on Amazon. Basically, he knows that the best way to build buzz around the book is to actually get people to read it, and giving away the book to people who will provide that buzz is probably a cost effective way to get some attention. Now, some might question whether the reviewers will be "fair" because they received the book for free -- but that's true of most professional book reviewers already.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Game Studio's Plan To Deal With Critic Of Games: Sue Him To Hell
- Tax Prep Company Tries To Sue Unhappy Customer Into Silence; Hit With Damages In Anti-SLAPP Order
- Techdirt Reading List: Free Books From Verso (Mostly)
- DailyDirt: Cheering For Mathletes
- Author Sues Half The Internet For Defamation, Copyright Infringement, Cyberbullying, Use Of Section 230