by Mike Masnick
Thu, Mar 12th 2009 7:03pm
A few people submitted stories about a German school shooting this week, noting that the AP report on the shooting spoke to a friend of the killer, talking about how they used to play video games together, and that some of them were violent. I decided not to post it initially, because it was a small part of the story, and there was nothing saying anyone was actually responding to that aspect, yet. But... of course... it didn't take long at all. Politicians are leaping on the bandwagon and already some are calling for a total ban on violent video games, despite no actual evidence that violent video games had anything, whatsoever, to do with the killings.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- How The DMCA And Anti-Piracy Measures Conspire To Keep Video Games In Their Cultural Place
- Guy Who Took Walter Scott Shooting Video Now Demanding To Be Paid; Everyone Gets Confused About Fair Use
- MMA Fighter Upset Over Possible Homage In Mortal Kombat
- Google Rejects Postal For Google Play Store Due To Violence; GTA Games Still Available For Purchase
- Modders Un-Region-Restricting Halo Online Undeterred By Microsoft DMCA