Mon, Feb 9th 2009 2:24am
Say hello to HD NVD, China's latest homegrown high-definition DVD format. It joins EVD, another Chinese effort, along with HD VMD to try and drag Blu-Ray back into a standards fight, following its triumph over HD DVD. Best of luck with that, even with NVD's supposed cost advantage thanks to a lack of foreign-owned intellectual property. That's the same argument that was used for China's homegrown TD-SCDMA 3G technology, which hasn't exactly thrust them to the forefront of mobile telecommunications.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Chinese State Patent Troll Absorbed By Smartphone Maker Xiaomi, Adding To Its Patent Hoard
- Donald Trump On Intellectual Property: China Is Bad
- China's Home-Grown Version Of Spotify Shows How To Make Money In A World Of Digital Abundance
- Yes, You Read That Correctly: China Says It's OK For Members Of The Public To Record The Police
- China To Ban Ad Blockers As Part Of New Regulations For Online Advertising