by Mike Masnick
Thu, Sep 4th 2008 6:08pm
Having bought my fair share of laptops over the years, I've noticed that the packaging has gotten smaller. I remember years ago buying a laptop and receiving a huge box with the actual laptop suspended in a styrofoam suspension system. More recently, I've seen laptops coming in much smaller boxes. However, Wal-Mart and HP have apparently decided to try ditching most of the packaging altogether, and letting you walk out with your new laptop in a messenger bag, rather than a box. Yes, there are still boxes from when the machines are shipped from HP to Wal-Mart, but the company can now fit 3 laptops to a box, significantly reducing packaging and making life easier on customers in the long run.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- FTC CTO: Full Disk Encryption Is Important In Preventing Crime
- DOJ Dismisses Case After Court Explains That Feds Can't Just Grab Someone's Laptop At The Border
- Your Toner Is No Good Here: Region-Coding Ink Cartridges... For The Customers
- HP Asks For Heavily-Redacted Documents To Be Sealed; Judge Responds With Heavily-Redacted Refusal
- Court To Homeland Security: Wait, No, You Can't Just Take Anyone's Laptop At The Border To Bring Somewhere To Search