by Mike Masnick
Thu, Aug 28th 2008 6:38pm
We report on so many stories where technology is used in bad or oppressive ways, that it's important to note when it's being used in positive ways as well. Technology, itself, is just a tool that can be used in both good and bad ways (not to mention neutral ways), but somehow the good ways don't always get as much attention. CNN has an article detailing how the rise of mobile phones throughout Africa is helping in making elections that are more fair. It's certainly not perfect yet, but the ability to communicate has allowed citizens to report abuses of the election process and get the word out when they see any kind of cheating happening.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Portland Police Bravely Defend Public From Homeless Woman Looking To Charge Her Cell Phone
- Gemalto: Ok, Yes, We Were Hacked, And Yes Some SIM Cards May Be Compromised, But Not Because Of Us
- New York City Backs Off School Cell Phone Ban, Though Some Officials Still See Cellular Tech As The Worst Sort Of Foul Devilry
- Wireless Carriers Admit Their Service Plans Still Far Too Confusing For Most Consumers To Actually Understand
- Canadian Supreme Court Says No Warrants Needed To Search Arrestees' Cell Phones