by Mike Masnick
Thu, Aug 28th 2008 6:38pm
We report on so many stories where technology is used in bad or oppressive ways, that it's important to note when it's being used in positive ways as well. Technology, itself, is just a tool that can be used in both good and bad ways (not to mention neutral ways), but somehow the good ways don't always get as much attention. CNN has an article detailing how the rise of mobile phones throughout Africa is helping in making elections that are more fair. It's certainly not perfect yet, but the ability to communicate has allowed citizens to report abuses of the election process and get the word out when they see any kind of cheating happening.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Eight Years Ago, The Iowa Caucus Convinced Me Of The Power Of Twitter... Today? Not So Much
- California Legislator Says Encryption 'Threatens Our Freedoms' Calls For Ban On Encrypted Cell Phones
- Legislator Thinks Warrantless Cell Phone Searches The Best Way To Combat Distracted Driving
- Comparing Cell Phones To Houses Not Exactly Deterring Use Of Generalized Warrants, Court Finds
- Former UK Bureaucrat Whines About People Happily Looking At Mobile Phones Rather Than Fearfully Spying On Everyone Else