by Mike Masnick
Tue, Aug 12th 2008 12:41pm
You want to know how to basically clog up the administration of various high schools across the state of California? Pass a law that would kick kids out of school for sending a "cyberbullying" text message. Yet, that's exactly the type of bill that's been introduced in the state, as it rushes into following others in trying to make it illegal to be a jerk online. Yes, cyberbullying is an issue for the targets of such bullying. But the answer is not to create laws that try to legislate manners, nor to suggest that it's okay to kick kids out of school for sending a bullying message. All that's going to do is have overly sensitive kids complaining any time anyone sends them a mean message.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Good News: California Legislature Dumps Stupid Plan To Copyright All Government Works
- California Still Looking To Copyright All Sorts Of Government Works, Despite Protests
- Another Day, Another Horrible Ruling That Undermines The First Amendment And Section 230
- Another Bad Ruling In California Threatens To Massively Undermine Section 230 By Exempting Publicity Rights
- Cop Abuses Bad Cyberbullying Law To Arrest Man For Calling Him A Pedophile To His Face