by Mike Masnick
Thu, Jul 31st 2008 5:45am
Anyone want to take a guess on when we'll see the first laws proposed to ban the practice of walking-while-texting? We've already seen a few proposals that would ban walking and talking in a crosswalk. And, to add some fuel to the fire, some ER doctors are warning people who walk and text at the same time that it's risky behavior. The doctors say they're seeing a rise in reports of people walking and texting at the same time, leading to some sort of injury, including two people who were hit by a car after paying more attention to their phone than oncoming traffic. Since technopanics always seem to start with a news article, just wait for someone to propose a law against this -- rather than insisting that perhaps it's time to institute a little common sense. Update: Apparently, I'm too late. At least one state has already proposed just such a law.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- UK Government Review Says Use Prizes, Not Patents, To Produce Much-Needed New Antibiotics
- DailyDirt: Hangovers -- Ain't Nobody Got Time For That
- DailyDirt: No More Urban Legends Of Waking Up In A Bathtub Without Your Kidneys...
- DailyDirt: What Are We Going To Do With All This Genetic Information?
- DailyDirt: Eating More Chocolate