by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jul 25th 2008 12:42pm
While TorrentSpy may have shut down and lost its copyright infringement lawsuit against the MPAA, it's still appealing a separate issue: whether the MPAA broke the law in hiring a guy to break into TorrentSpy's email server and forward emails to the MPAA. The MPAA got away with playing dumb when this issue first came up, claiming it assumed the guy they hired had legitimate access to all of the emails he was handing over -- though, that seems highly questionable.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Law Professor Mark Lemley: Hollywood Is Simply Wrong About FCC's Set Top Box Plan
- MPAA Freaks Out In Response To FCC's Revised Set Top Box Plan
- Court Says Man Can Sue Maker Of Web-Monitoring Software For Wiretap Act Violations
- Court Says Bugs The FBI Planted Around California Courthouses Did Not Violate Anyone's Expectation Of Privacy
- Court Upholds Sentence For Ex-Cop Who Abused Law Enforcement Database Access