by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jun 24th 2008 5:53pm
While we definitely found the story of a student in Egypt using Twitter to alert people that he had been arrested interesting, it does seem like a bit of a stretch to then say that it makes sense to create an emergency alert system via Twitter. Though it has some potential to be powerful, an emergency alert system needs to be reliable -- and Twitter is rather infamous for its pretty regular downtime.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Twitter Suspends Accounts For 'Infringement' Despite Not Linking To Any Infringing Works
- Moral Panics And How 'The Kids These Days' Adapt: From Facebook 'Permanence' To Snapchat's 'Impermanence'
- Popehat v. James Woods SLAPP-down Match; Coming Soon To A Court Near You
- Prison Messaging Service No Longer Claims It 'Owns' All Of Your Communications
- Prison 'Enforces' Messaging Company's 'IP' Rights By Sending Prisoner To Solitary