by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jun 24th 2008 5:53pm
While we definitely found the story of a student in Egypt using Twitter to alert people that he had been arrested interesting, it does seem like a bit of a stretch to then say that it makes sense to create an emergency alert system via Twitter. Though it has some potential to be powerful, an emergency alert system needs to be reliable -- and Twitter is rather infamous for its pretty regular downtime.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Yet Another Lawsuit Hopes A Court Will Hold Twitter Responsible For Terrorists' Actions
- Twitter Kills Another Social Media Monitoring Service's Connection To Its Every-Tweet-Ever Feed
- WhatsApp And Its End-to-end Encryption Get Love From An Unusual Quarter: International Diplomats
- Thai Government Demands Popular Chat App Reveal Any Time Any User Insults The King
- Privacy Groups File FTC Complaint Over Whatsapp Facebook Privacy 'Bait And Switch'