by Mike Masnick
Wed, May 28th 2008 9:04am
Ah silly patents. Remember back when British Telecom thought that it held a patent on hyperlinks? And then there've been multiple different patents claiming ownership of the idea of putting an image on a website. Well, it appears that a company in Singapore has recently merged the two ideas into its own patent, and boy, is it ever ready to sue just about everyone. Slashdot points us to the news that Singaporean image search firm Vuestar Technologies claims to hold a patent on linking images from a website to another site and is sending out threatening letters to a bunch of websites. No one has linked to the actual patent so it's difficult to see what it really covers -- but the idea that a recent patent would cover the concept of linking images seems preposterous.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- DailyDirt: No More Teaching To The Test?
- Once Again, John Oliver Covers A Techdirt Topic: This Time, It's Patent Trolls
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 21: How The Patent System Can Be Fixed
- Teen Blogger Arrested In Singapore For Being A Teenager And Posting A Video The Government Doesn't Like
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 20: How The Patent System Is Broken