by Mike Masnick
Fri, May 9th 2008 9:13am
If you've got a spare 40 minutes to an hour, it's worth watching patent attorney Stephan Kinsella's presentation: Rethinking Intellectual Property Completely, as given in March. The video is embedded below, and it fits in nicely with my ongoing (yes, there's still plenty more) series of posts on intellectual property. It's pretty rare to see a patent attorney explain so lucidly the problems with patents (and copyrights):
He does a very nice job ripping apart the "property rights" arguments that some, especially some libertarians, use in favor of patents, explaining why that doesn't make sense. It's an excellent presentation, and well worth watching.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- The Reason The Copyright Office Misrepresented Copyright Law To The FCC: Hollywood Told It To
- Free Open Shared: A Conversation With Me About Copyright At Wikimedia
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 96: Death Knell For Software Patents
- Shameful: Perfectly Reasonable Academic Book On Gene Kelly Killed By Bogus Copyright Claims
- Shake Up At The Copyright Office A Possible Preview To Fight Over Copyright Reform