by Mike Masnick
Fri, Apr 25th 2008 7:42am
It's not just with red light cameras that local authorities are squeezing extra money out of drivers, Consumerist points us to the news that a judge in Florida has tossed out thousands of bogus toll citations, slamming both the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority and Florida Turnpike Authority for failing to deal with the fines properly. It appears that some of the fines resulted from malfunctioning toll transponders. The judge noted that this should have been easy for the traffic authorities to correct, but instead they made it a bureaucratic nightmare for those unfairly and incorrectly accused of running tolls. The judge has even gone so far as to bar the two Authorities from issuing any new citations to drivers who have prepaid or credit-card accounts -- to the point that he's instructed the court clerks in both places to refuse to accept any new citations without affidavits swearing that the offenders have no money in their accounts.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Florida PD's Stingray Documents Oddly Don't Mention Stingrays Once
- Now Italy Wants To Make 'Fake News' Illegal
- Court Says Abandoned Phone Locked With A Passcode Still Has Expectation Of Privacy
- Florida Voters Vote Down Bill Aimed At Hamstringing Solar Competition
- Utilities In Florida Are Using A Fake Consumer Group To Hamstring Solar Competition