by Mike Masnick
Tue, Mar 4th 2008 8:08pm
We noted recently that a judge was so fed up with a pair of well-known patent attorneys that he not only overturned the verdict, but he made the attorneys pay the opposing side's legal bills. Now, in a totally separate patent battle, yet another judge has done the same exact thing. And, in what may (or may not) be a coincidence, both sets of lawyers were representing Medtronic. In both cases, they ignored the earlier parameters set on how the patent claims could be portrayed in court. It's good to see judges pushing back, though it really does say something that patent attorneys felt they could get away with this.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 96: Death Knell For Software Patents
- Antitrust Suit Alleges Pharma Company Rubbished Its Own Product In Order To Stave Off Competition From Generics
- FTC Releases Big Report On Patent Trolls, Says The Patent System Needs To Change
- Supreme Court Overturns CAFC Yet Again; Explains Basic Patent Law To The 'Patent' Court
- Live By The Patent, Die By The Patent: Extreme Patent Aggressor Medtronic Loses Patent Lawsuit