by Mike Masnick
Fri, Feb 1st 2008 1:20am
For years and years, we've been hearing analysts talk up the prospects of the mobile porn market with little to no evidence that it's more than a niche market. Almost all of the analyst estimates are based on assumptions concerning how VCR technology and the internet were both driven by huge demand for pornographic content. It's natural to then assume that the mobile industry will go down the same path. However, that ignores why VCRs and the internet worked well for adult entertainment. Both allowed a better quality offering to be viewed in the privacy of your own home. Mobile porn is the opposite. It's a lower quality product that you can now view out in public. That seems a lot less appealing. So, take it with a pretty large grain of salt when analyst firms insist that mobile porn is about to be a big thing. These are the same firms that have been predicting huge growth for mobile porn for a while, with little to back it up. Yes, there is some market for mobile porn, but it's hard to see it being as big as some of these predictions make it out to be.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Complaint To FTC Says It’s 'Deceptive' For Google To Not Recognize 'Right To Be Forgotten' In US
- Intel Officials' Claims That NSA Couldn't Access Majority Of Cellphone Records Apparently Bogus
- Boston Police Commissioner Wants Cameras Further Away From Cops, Criminal Charges For Not Assisting Officers
- Manhattan District Attorney Ratchets Up The 'Going Dark' FUD; Leaves Out Its Connection To Shady Hacking Team
- Russia Threatens To Ban All Of Reddit Because Of A Single, Unspecified Drug-Related Thread