by Mike Masnick
Fri, Feb 1st 2008 1:20am
For years and years, we've been hearing analysts talk up the prospects of the mobile porn market with little to no evidence that it's more than a niche market. Almost all of the analyst estimates are based on assumptions concerning how VCR technology and the internet were both driven by huge demand for pornographic content. It's natural to then assume that the mobile industry will go down the same path. However, that ignores why VCRs and the internet worked well for adult entertainment. Both allowed a better quality offering to be viewed in the privacy of your own home. Mobile porn is the opposite. It's a lower quality product that you can now view out in public. That seems a lot less appealing. So, take it with a pretty large grain of salt when analyst firms insist that mobile porn is about to be a big thing. These are the same firms that have been predicting huge growth for mobile porn for a while, with little to back it up. Yes, there is some market for mobile porn, but it's hard to see it being as big as some of these predictions make it out to be.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Details Of How The Paris Attacks Were Carried Out Show Little Effort By Attackers To Hide Themselves
- Did You Hear About How ISIS Has A Sophisticated Training Manual For Encryption? Yeah, It Was Actually A Pamphlet For Journalists And Activists
- The Paris Attacks And The Encryption/Surveillance Bogeyman: The Story So Far
- After Endless Demonization Of Encryption, Police Find Paris Attackers Coordinated Via Unencrypted SMS
- NSA Pats Self On Back For Disclosing Vulnerabilities '90% Of The Time,' Doesn't Specify How Long It Uses Them Before Doing So