by Mike Masnick
Fri, Feb 1st 2008 1:20am
For years and years, we've been hearing analysts talk up the prospects of the mobile porn market with little to no evidence that it's more than a niche market. Almost all of the analyst estimates are based on assumptions concerning how VCR technology and the internet were both driven by huge demand for pornographic content. It's natural to then assume that the mobile industry will go down the same path. However, that ignores why VCRs and the internet worked well for adult entertainment. Both allowed a better quality offering to be viewed in the privacy of your own home. Mobile porn is the opposite. It's a lower quality product that you can now view out in public. That seems a lot less appealing. So, take it with a pretty large grain of salt when analyst firms insist that mobile porn is about to be a big thing. These are the same firms that have been predicting huge growth for mobile porn for a while, with little to back it up. Yes, there is some market for mobile porn, but it's hard to see it being as big as some of these predictions make it out to be.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Obama Promises 'Proportional' Response To Russian Hacking, Ignores That We Started The Fight
- Media, Politics & The Death Of Intellectual Honesty
- The Proper Channels For Whistleblowing Still Mostly A Good Way For Messengers To Get Shot
- Traffic Is Fake, Audience Numbers Are Garbage, And Nobody Knows How Many People See Anything
- The Good, The Bad And The Misunderstood Of 'YouTube Heroes'