by Mike Masnick
Fri, Dec 14th 2007 11:17am
A Chinese company named Guge Sci-Tech Co. is apparently suing Google's China operation for also using the name Guge. While at first this seems to have more legitimacy than other lawsuits over Google's name, it may not be that clear cut. Guge Sci-Tech only registered their name in April of 2006 -- at a time when Google had already said that it was going to use the Guge name in China. The real problem was that Google didn't bother to register the Guge name itself until November of 2006. All of that makes you wonder if this is really all just a publicity stunt for Guge Sci-Tech. If it is, it might not be working. The AP report on the story doesn't even bother to list what Guge Sci-Tech does.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Fine Brothers History Of Overaggressive Behavior Doomed Their Plan; But Hopefully Others Will Revive The Good Parts
- Chinese Firm Now Owns The Rights To Tiananmen Square Tank Man Photo; What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
- Lego Reverses Policy On Block Orders For Political Projects After Public Shaming
- EFF Wants Cisco Held Responsible For Helping China Track, Torture Falun Gong Members
- Game Cracking Group Predicts The End Of Cracking Because Of Better DRM