by Mike Masnick
Thu, Oct 25th 2007 11:37pm
Constantine von Hoffman has been doing a nice job tracking both how security firms are blaming Facebook (or any other popular social network) for just about anything, but also how the press keeps falling for it. His latest find is to trash an Australian news organization for writing up a whole article on how Facebook, Linkedin and MySpace are popular feeding grounds for organized criminals without bothering to talk to a single other source than a security firm who has a vested interest in generating headlines and making people worried about security. As Constantine notes, he has no reason to doubt that the claim true, but it seems like the press should at least look for a second, less biased, source for confirmation.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Another Lawsuit Highlights How Many 'Smart' Toys Violate Privacy, Aren't Secure
- Israeli Government Pushes National Biometric Database With Claims Of Security Superiority Nobody Thinks Are True
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 101: Where Do You Get Your News?
- This Is A Really Bad Idea: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & Microsoft Agree To Block 'Terrorist' Content
- Not Even Your Light Bulbs Are Safe From Shitty Internet Of Things Security