by Mike Masnick
Thu, Oct 25th 2007 11:37pm
Constantine von Hoffman has been doing a nice job tracking both how security firms are blaming Facebook (or any other popular social network) for just about anything, but also how the press keeps falling for it. His latest find is to trash an Australian news organization for writing up a whole article on how Facebook, Linkedin and MySpace are popular feeding grounds for organized criminals without bothering to talk to a single other source than a security firm who has a vested interest in generating headlines and making people worried about security. As Constantine notes, he has no reason to doubt that the claim true, but it seems like the press should at least look for a second, less biased, source for confirmation.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- NSA Screws Up Another Thing: EU Court Of Justice Throws The Internet For A Loop In Ending Safe Harbor
- T-Mobile Customer Data Leaked By Experian... And Faulty Encryption Implementation
- ISP Announces It's Blocking All Facebook And Google Ads Until Companies Pay A Troll Toll
- CIA, FBI And Much Of US Military Aren't Doing The Most Basic Things To Encrypt Email
- Why Backdoors Always Suck: The TSA Travel Locks Were Hacked And The TSA Doesn't Care