by Mike Masnick
Thu, Aug 23rd 2007 1:59pm
Well, you can tell that Facebook is the hot media darling company of the moment these days based on how many other companies are using it as a press hook for advertising themselves. Earlier this week we wrote about a bogus study claiming that Facebook was killing productivity. That report was based on a study done by a company that just happened to sell filters. It seems that others have quickly caught on. Constantine von Hoffman angrily points us to yet another security company that has put out a questionable poll claiming that half of all employers now completely restrict access to Facebook. This is making headlines all over the place this morning, but as von Hoffman notes, no one seems to be verifying that it's actually true. It's only sourced from the security firm, and some in the press are simply taking the firm's word on which companies block Facebook without actually checking with them to find out if it's true. It's definitely likely that Facebook is being blocked by plenty of firms, especially as it's received a lot of press lately (including this kind of bogus press), but you would think that reporters would at least look for more than a single biased source for confirmation that "half of all employers" are banning Facebook. Also, you would think that reporters would go out and also get quotes from companies who don't ban Facebook (and perhaps from those who have found it to be a useful business networking tool).
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Australian Police Officials Smacked Around By Judge For Support Of Illegal Surveillance Of A 'Closed' Facebook Account
- UK's Snooper's Charter Includes Mandatory Backdoors For Encryption
- CEO Of Mobile Company Blames Everyone For Wanting Coffee Rather Than His Game
- Bobby Jindal Announces Violent Games/Movies To Blame For All Those Mass Shootings
- Took Longer Than I Expected: Bill O'Reilly Yanks Video Games Into Charleston Massacre For No Reason At All