Why Must ISPs Pay To Be The Mandatory Copyright Cops Of The Entertainment Industry?
from the that-doesn't-seem-right dept
A bunch of folks have been submitting various versions of the story of how the UK government appears to have — somewhat arbitrarily — decided that copyright holders should pay 75% of the costs of tracking down those accused of file sharing, while ISPs should pay the remaining 25%. It’s all meaningless, of course. The reality is that consumers will pay either way, via higher prices, which will then be used to kick them off the internet. How nice. Of course, even more ridiculous is that the recording industry is still complaining, saying that ISPs should have to pay even more. This is the entitlement mentality of the industry at work. They want everyone else to pay for everything. The artists “pay” via the recouping process. Radio stations need to “pay” to promote their songs. And, now, ISPs should have to “pay” for mandatory efforts to act as the record labels’ copyright cops. The sense of entitlement from the industry is staggering. Along those lines, what’s up with UK communications minister Ed Vaizey, as part of announcing these plans, making the blatantly false claim about “our valuable creative industries, which have already suffered significant losses as a result of people sharing digital content without paying for it.” After all, as the music industry’s own research shows, the industry has been growing. It seems blatantly and intellectually dishonest for Vaizey to claim otherwise.