Plug And Pray: A Wireless Experiment Goes Awry
from the not-so-good dept
I spent much of this weekend pulling out my hair trying to figure out why my new laptop wasn’t connecting properly to the internet. I finally “isolated” the problems to such an extent that I realized it was really a convergence of four different, incredibly ridiculous problems, which were all working together to make my life hell. Dealing with the wireless aspect of it was the least of my problems, which ended up leaving me tethered via a short ethernet cable to my router. It seems that for all the hype about how wonderful wireless access is (and it is wonderful, when it’s working) it’s still quite a pain to get it set up properly. In the article linked to here, a lot of the problems seemed to be the fault of whoever set up the “wireless access” at the conference. It still amazes me that any conference can be set up these days without full WiFi coverage.