Kevin’s Techdirt Profile

whoozhe

About Kevin

Kevin’s Comments comment rss

• Feb 10th, 2014 @ 9:26am

Clouded issues

I agree. Cloud storage is about as solid as a cloud itself. It would have to go down as the biggest scam so far this century.
    Having tried out several I have found I can send a parcel to the moon and back faster.
    No one needs cloud. I can backup my office stuff to my home computer or any other off site system using a mere 56k dial up connection direct to the other remote computers faster than any Internet based system and it is 99% more secure and it cost pennies.

• Sep 28th, 2013 @ 12:17am

Backwards

It really looks like the study started with a number and then was worked backwards to make that everything else fitted nicely.
    The whole study is so based on unsupported assumptions it is a joke.
    If only I could use the same method to convince my bank I was worth 10 times more than I am. Of course my study would be rarely contain anything above three figures

• Aug 22nd, 2013 @ 10:15am

Flood them

Imagine what would happen if every email sent contained a line or two with the words that activate the NSA filters to intercept an email. 100 million emails a day with those lines written in Arabic would bring down any computer system and have the monitoring staff pulling their hair out.
    In reality all NSA is achieving is creating a market for terrorists to use heavier encryption of find alternatives.

• Aug 22nd, 2013 @ 10:01am

Reversed Domino Effect

For every storage site that is shut down 10 more pop up within weeks. Ever since the kim dot com fiasco dozens of alternatives have risen. Eventually Governments will be pressured into spending the costs associated with shutting down such sites on things the people will consider more important.
    That is the Government's Achilles Heel. Start publicizing how much Governments are diverting funds from needy programs just to support a handful of Moguls. The people will howl.

• Aug 3rd, 2013 @ 8:57am

The $$ rules

No matter what the situation, complaint, overwhelming evidence money will always prevail.
    Unfortunately the majority of people are not willing to stand up and be counted. Most think that elections are the only time they really have a say.
    Unbeknown to the people is they have the power to change policy by simply having a majority disobey a law

• Jun 14th, 2013 @ 12:39am

Nothing new

Pre internet days such communication was sent via snail mail and in many cased answered.

• Jun 14th, 2013 @ 12:36am

They are kidding

I'd be willing to pay the real value. Maybe .01 cent per track seeing as most new music will not have any lasting appeal or value.
    Plus I already have multiple copies of most pre 90's music because of the never ending best of albums.
    After a handful of week, if not days most new music can be purchased at give away prices from retailers, often at less than 50 cents per track.

• Jun 9th, 2013 @ 9:05pm

Outside the USA

The more I read TechDirt the happier I am that I do not live in the USA, the land of the oppressed. I speak with authority because I have lived there and held permanent residency (Green Card)that I have since allowed for it to relapse.
    The people of the USA have become so complacent over the past 40 years. You have allowed successive governments strip your constitution to pieces and handed power to a handful of corporations and organizations.
    The way patents, copy right and invasion of every bit of privacy, all under the orchestrated national security issues have been allowed to continue unchecked is frighteneing.
    The more I read about the USA the more convinced I am that the "Land of the Free" no longer exists and has been replaced by an authoritarian regime.
    Emigrate to Australia because at present we seem to be the last real free country left on the planet and we only have seven police forces and one, yes one, security organization.

• May 29th, 2013 @ 7:42am

The cheap way out

It is cheaper for banks to pay out stolen money as appose to the cost of implementing full proof security measures.
    The bottom line always wins.

• May 29th, 2013 @ 7:39am

Control control

The Internet is probably the last bastion that does not have a centralized control system over it.
    Every other walk in life is controlled by someone somehow somewhere.
    It as been that way forever.

• May 2nd, 2013 @ 3:29am

One out another in

If Oxycontin is made so the extraction of the morphine is either impossible or expensive then what stops the extractors switching back to MS Contin?

• Feb 23rd, 2013 @ 7:32am

Seen worse

I suffered for years no knowing what I was eating. Then I divorced her.

• Feb 23rd, 2013 @ 7:29am

Icaan so Iwill

ICAAN is starting to look more like Hallmark Cards. Create a new "Special" day to sell more cards.
    Companies have enough on their plate being having to register county based domains or ccTLDs (.uk; .au; and the rarely used .us) To fully protect a domain name one would need to register of 300 ccTDLs.
    Now multiply those 300+ by the number of level one domain names (.net.au or .biz.au) then do the math with alternative such as au.biz or us.biz we are already over whelmed with TDLs.
    Enough is enough.

• Feb 22nd, 2013 @ 8:14am

Not so devilish

In Australia and UK we have a different system. Misdemeanors are presided over by a Magistrate and an accused can be represented in court by a Solicitor (Lawyer)
    Felonies or trial by jury are presided over by a Judge and only a Barrister can argue the case. In this situation a solicitor does all the groundwork, chooses a Barrister and provides him/her with a brief (all relevant material).
    A solicitor requires years of experience to be accepted at the bar as a Barrister.
    It is rare a Barrister would accept a brief that was considered suspect as our courts tend to be intolerant towards courtroom tricks.
    Barristers ask questions from their seat and can only approach a witness with a Judge's permission.
    As for the wigs and black capes worn by Barristers that exists so a jury cannot be influenced by the Barrister's appearance. They all look the same.

• Feb 1st, 2013 @ 11:07am

More toilet friendly paper

I propose that all newspapers, telephone directories and copy paper become toilet friendly. Yes we need softer newspapers etc. Maybe a home machine that can perforate and aerate paper that turns harsh papers into soft tissues.
    Better a patent the idea. The Perfaerator.
    Then I guess the printers would object over copyright issues. Transferring print to one's rear may be considered illegal copying.
    Come to think about it what did people do during the depression era. Maybe a Perfaerator already exists.

• Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 10:47am

Down and further down

Is it me or am I reading too much into the negative opinions in this and other forums.
    The way I see it is the USA is just one basket case. It apparently has totally lost it's way and appears to be so far from what the forefathers envisioned. If those men could spend one day in the current climate they may go back and rip up the constitution and wonder if it is even worth having one.
    Lies and secrets eventually fester to the degree when everything is rotten. The USA is close to that point. Wikileaks was trying to get the real truth to the people only to be stomped on by those who thrive of lies and secrets.
    Time for 100% open Government. The truth has never been the cause of corruption and wars. Lies and secrets have

• Jan 19th, 2013 @ 11:15am

Tell me another story

When I was four I was given my first cap gun (A toy that used
    Impregnated paper to make a banging sound). Later my Xmas parcel included a pump action gun that shot out ping pong balls. By 12 I had a double holster, two cap guns, a bow and arrow set and to date I have not become a raving murderous lunatic.
    It is not the tools that make the person, it is what they learn.

• Jan 19th, 2013 @ 11:06am

Hitler would have said

Vertrauen Sie uns. Wir tun dies, um zu schützen Sie die Menschen.
    Yea, sure.

• Jan 3rd, 2013 @ 9:54pm

Eternally

Science has shown that even though we can prolong life it applies to the body only. There is no known way to prolong the life of our brain. The rate of dying brain cells increases with age.
    The current aging population is already placing massive strains on pension funds, health and welfare systems sending many counties into debt.
    Imagine the consequences if people lived for an average of an extra five years
    I wouldn't mind living for more years as long as both my body and mind were fully functioning and I could continue to learn and contribute to society and not rely on society to care for me.

• Dec 29th, 2012 @ 12:44pm

I never lend CDs

I have never lent a CD to anyone. I give it as a gift with their right to return it if not satisfied.
    Copying a CD is a trickier. To get around that restriction I note that the copyright doesn't mention copying part thereof so I snip 1/2 second off the end of each track.
    Public performance. It is annoying having to advise all neighbors within hearing range of my 500 watt stereo system to wear ear plugs whenever I play a CD. I now take out an advertisement in the local newspaper list all times that music will be played. I am billing the copyright owner for the earplugs.
    I have had my car sound proofed as to adhere to the broadcasting restrictions.
    Reproduction. My wife is post menopause so reproduction has ceased plus I cannot reproduced something I never produced in the first place.
    All solutions are as idiotic as the restrictions.

More comments from Kevin >>