For a few years now, we've been skeptical of the idea that WiFi is the right technology for wide area "muni" deployments. We keep seeing more evidence of this. The latest is that Google's efforts to WiFi all of Mountain View has run into some technology snags. It's not that the technology won't work at all, but it won't work well. And, given that much better wide area technologies are either available or soon to be available, it seems odd that so many companies and cities are putting so much effort into WiFi specifically.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- T-Mobile Bucks Another Crazy Mobile Phone Trend: Dumps International Roaming Charges
- How Ruling On WiFi Snooping Means Security Researchers May Face Criminal Liability
- DailyDirt: Get Your Own Satellite
- Court Says WiFi Isn't Radio Because It's Not Audio; Therefore WiFi Sniffing Can Be Wiretapping
- DailyDirt: Is There A Better Word For Wireless?