If you're looking for innovative mobile operators, the two big names that always pop up are SK Telecom in South Korea and NTT DoCoMo in Japan. While both have been active in investing abroad (not always successfully), they really haven't been known to compete head to head against each other. That might change. Apparently, DoCoMo is in talks to buy a significant stake in KT Freetel, the second place mobile operator in Korea. As the article notes, rumors along these lines have popped up before, but people seem to believe that this time it will happen. Of course, just having the investment, doesn't mean that DoCoMo will easily transfer its magic over to Korea. Past investments (remember AT&T Wireless?) by DoCoMo haven't always worked out so well.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- T-Mobile Bucks Another Crazy Mobile Phone Trend: Dumps International Roaming Charges
- How Ruling On WiFi Snooping Means Security Researchers May Face Criminal Liability
- DailyDirt: Get Your Own Satellite
- Court Says WiFi Isn't Radio Because It's Not Audio; Therefore WiFi Sniffing Can Be Wiretapping
- DailyDirt: Is There A Better Word For Wireless?