WNN has a good overview of Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA), the effort by a number of large companies in the mobile space to create a system that will allow for WiFi-to-cellular roaming (well, it's a bit more than that, but that's what everyone focuses on). While the article is quite informative, there are still plenty of people who are quite skeptical about how well this will all work. It's an issue that involves getting past not just technical issues, but business model ones as well -- and that combination may be very difficult to get around.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Stopping 23andMe Will Only Delay The Revolution Medicine Needs
- Abusing The Surveillance Scandal To Punish Internet Freedom Even More
- Bruce Schneier On The Feudal Internet And How To Fight It
- US Free Trade Agreements Are Bad Not Just For The Economy, But For The Environment, Too
- James Clapper Thinks That NSA Employees Will Sell Out Our Nation After A Few Days Without A Paycheck