DoCoMo's various investments outside of Japan in 3G related ventures have not done particularly well. Of course, Hutchison's 3 in the UK has been pretty much the textbook case of how not to roll out a 3G service. Thus, it's really not all that surprising that DoCoMo is now trying to get out of their relationship with 3 - though, they may try to team up with another UK provider instead. DoCoMo still claims they want to be a force outside of Japan, but they clearly overestimated their ability to leverage early i-mode success into 3G success - even at home in Japan. The company has been able to bounce back lately in Japan, so it should be interesting to see if those same lessons translate elsewhere.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- T-Mobile Bucks Another Crazy Mobile Phone Trend: Dumps International Roaming Charges
- How Ruling On WiFi Snooping Means Security Researchers May Face Criminal Liability
- DailyDirt: Get Your Own Satellite
- Court Says WiFi Isn't Radio Because It's Not Audio; Therefore WiFi Sniffing Can Be Wiretapping
- DailyDirt: Is There A Better Word For Wireless?