Here's an article saying that the UN is pushing WiFi and WiMax based solutions to help bridge the digital divide. Of course, if you read the article, it sounds much more like Intel is pushing these things to the UN as a way to bridge the digital divide. It's certainly a good thing to see the UN pushing for creative solutions, and WiFi and WiMax certainly present a great opportunity - but at this point, it's just a few companies pitching their ideas for using the technology, rather than an all out effort by the UN.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- T-Mobile Bucks Another Crazy Mobile Phone Trend: Dumps International Roaming Charges
- How Ruling On WiFi Snooping Means Security Researchers May Face Criminal Liability
- DailyDirt: Get Your Own Satellite
- Court Says WiFi Isn't Radio Because It's Not Audio; Therefore WiFi Sniffing Can Be Wiretapping
- DailyDirt: Is There A Better Word For Wireless?