Band Asks Fans To 'Donate Sounds' For Next Album

from the connect-with-fans... dept

We've written about the band Uniform Motion a few times. It's an excellent band that has done some very interesting things to connect with fans, including being incredibly transparent and focusing on the importance of the relationship over the value of the MP3 file. And like all smart content creators, they're continuing to innovate and try new things. For example, they recently announced a plan to have fans "donate a sound". Fans can go to the band's Soundcloud page, where they can upload sounds which Uniform Motion will incorporate into their next album. This is cool on a variety of levels.

First, it's just a neat way to connect with fans in general, and actually make them feel truly engaged with the upcoming album. Second, it's a neat way of showing how some new technologies are making things that used to be difficult quite easy today. Soundcloud is a relatively new service, but the simple ability for an artist to quickly and easily get sounds from their fans, used creatively, allows Uniform Motion to offer something really cool. I'm excited to see what they end up coming out with in the end.

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 12:42am

Cool, but copyright is not, the ways this could go wrong just boggles the mind, this is why copyright must die.

Anonymous Coward of Esteemed Trolling (profile), Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 12:52am

Am going to donate, they say they will definitely use it...
    Hmmm... this could be fun.

Liz (profile), Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 1:24am

If I had to guess, I'd say that their next album will consist of a lot of flatulence.

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 1:40am

Great idea

But I know what the Copyright supporters would say

"The band want you to donate sounds because they are starving and can't create for themselves".

drew (profile), Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 2:08am

Yep, me too.

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 2:19am

I'd buy that :)

Anonymous Coward of Esteemed Trolling [OUT/About], Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 2:33am

it's a question of what to send.

What kinda music do you make drew ?
    I make electro/house.
    Always up for remixing and playing around....hint...hint

I will post a track for you to remix too, if you fancy messing about with it.
    I do understand btw.... sometimes you can't see anything to remix from, or your hours spent creating end up with shit that no one cares about(especially yourself), even when it's a great original track, so there is no pressure to finish the remix or even to start it. Expect that as my attitude, it's how I make my own stuff too. #ScrapTheCrap #WhyDidIWasteMyTimeMakingThatShit #NotGoodEnough #IAmFail

Dick Jones, Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 2:36am

Not a robocop fan then ?

*I'd buy that for a dollar

Prashanth (profile), Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 4:52am

TFS

I remember when Team Four Star (the group behind an amazingly popular parody of the anime Dragonball Z) did a similar, though less extensive, thing with one of their parody episodes; that episode was supposed to be like an arena with spectators, so they asked fans to donate sounds of cheers and boos. I didn't personally donate (because I wasn't actually sure what they meant at the time), but I still think it's amazingly cool.

moomoocow, Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 5:08am

wearing shades

Pretty soon, bands will have their fans write and record their music for them, eliminating the need to have any talent at all.

The Techdirt future looks bright!

drew (profile), Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 5:24am

Re: wearing shades

Pretty soon, bands will be able to completely open up their music process (if they want to), from writing and recording to marketing and promoting, including as many talented people as they want to.
    The Techdirt future looks friggin' amazing!

Eric, Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 5:56am

how dare this band assume art has no value by asking people to just submit samples for free :)

drew (profile), Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 6:51am

Re: it's a question of what to send.

Singer-songwriter stuff myself, probably the opposite end of the pop music spectrum really but feel free to click on my profile and take it from there.
    All the stuff on my bandcamp site is CC-BA so go wild if you fancy anything.
    I'm in the process of getting hold of all the multi-tracks and making them available as well - prompted by the open source music article a while back. I'll be sticking something up on Step 2 when I've got that sorted.

E. Zachary Knight (profile), Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 7:30am

Re: Re: it's a question of what to send.

Your website gives a 404 error "The requested URL /drewmusic/index_white.html was not found on this server."

Also your profile is blank.

Just letting you know.

The Groove Tiger (profile), Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 7:43am

Re: Great idea

"Spare a sound, guvnor?"

Begging! Begging for sounds!

BEGGIIIING!

drew (profile), Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 10:44am

Re: Re: Re: it's a question of what to send.

How odd, if i click on my name it works fine. www.drewstephenson.com.
    Hmm, it would appear that my profile is indeed blank. How odd, I wonder if I ever saved the information in the first place. How peculiar.
    Should now be fixed

Dave Trader, Jul 3rd, 2012 @ 2:25pm

test

tset

indieThing, Jul 4th, 2012 @ 4:12am

Re: Re: Re: Re: it's a question of what to send.

I'm also getting a similar error on both of the links in your comment:

Not Found

The requested URL /drewmusic/index_white.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

drew (profile), Jul 4th, 2012 @ 9:37am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: it's a question of what to send.

arse. there's a dot in the web address in the comment above.
    should be www.drewstephenson.com
    But I am now slightly concerned that my website appears to be dead. Ho hum, I guess that's my homework...

drew (profile), Jul 5th, 2012 @ 12:15am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: it's a question of what to send.

Sorted now! Thanks folks. Turns out the chap who looked after these things for the label had been tidying up the files on his server and had inadvertently moved something he shouldn't.
    Thanks for the heads up.