Help Fund Nina Paley's Minibooks About Intellectual Pooperty

from the i-got-five dept

Occasional Techdirt poster, filmmaker, comic artist and copyright critic Nina Paley recently put up her first Kickstarter campaign, seeking to raise $3,000 to produce a large print run of some "minibooks" of her series of comics about "Intellectual Pooperty." The idea is to put together these small books that can also be carried around and passed around. At $3,000, she could do a large enough print run to keep the prices down (print-on-demand is much more expensive). It took all of two days to reach $3,000 and the number keeps going up (full disclaimer: I kicked in $25 in order to get five of these books, so I can hand them out to folks when necessary). If you're unfamiliar with her work (and you shouldn't be if you read this site), here's a sampling of strips that we had posted last year:

Jose_X, May 12th, 2011 @ 12:24am

The eenie Mimi & Eunice row can match a tidier bind for show

Seeing as how Nina wants to give contributors even more than they bargained for, and in reply to the update she put up about the book's binding process, may I suggest that the agreement terms be filled in with perfect bound? Also, any extras can be given in the cheaper stitch to maximize the extras.

Noumi Kudryavka (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 3:25am

Hold on!

Who the hell is going to pay when they can get these strips for free? I mean, just because more than $3000 was raised doesn't mean squat! Think of the key grips and their families, damn it!!!!

It's nice to see stories like this pop up when idiocy like PROTECT IP shows up.

Nicedoggy, May 12th, 2011 @ 3:38am

Nina deserves every penny she gets.

abc gum, May 12th, 2011 @ 5:02am

Re: Hold on!

"Perhaps someone should ship several (if not all) of these books to our government?"

Agreed, assuming they would read and understand it.
    Likely, most would end up in the landfill.

Berenerd (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 5:08am

really?

Help Fund Nina Paley's Minibooks About Intellectual **Pooperty**

Pooperty? Really? :)

When I get paid next week I will make a donation.

Chronno S. Trigger (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 5:29am

Re: really?

Anonymous Coward, May 12th, 2011 @ 6:38am

Copying is an act of love..

Does that make children a derivative work?

Richard (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 6:39am

Re: Copying is an act of love..

The above comment is mine - sorry - didn't realise I wasn't signed in - wish it would remind me before I post a comment - rather than just after...

Nina Paley (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 6:39am

Thanks!

Right now it looks like I can get at least 10,000 minibooks printed, thanks to a printer/supporter offering print services at cost, along with everyone's generous contributions. The books will be perfect-bound, too! A bumper crop of minibooks for everyone.

Anonymous Coward, May 12th, 2011 @ 7:25am

Free does not pay so well. Can we have your money to fund our propaganda?

That would not be investing in innovation that would just be passing money around, broken windows all around.

sumquy (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 7:37am

is there going to be an ebook version? i don't do dead trees anymore.

Capitalist Lion Tamer (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 7:43am

Me neither. The splinters are painful and often in a very awkward place.

As for the ebook... I assume your mouse has some sort of righthand side button...

Jeremy7600 (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 7:50am

I pledged but was a bit disappointed to see it tied to Amazon. Is kickstarter tied to amazon for payments or just Nina? I've never used Kickstarter before so I am genuinely curious.

Anonymous Coward, May 12th, 2011 @ 8:10am

Pretty expensive toilet paper. Not very soft either.

Nina Paley (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 8:24am

It's Kickstarter, I'm afraid.

Anonymous Coward, May 12th, 2011 @ 8:49am

I put my toilet paper in the safe. I have, at times, even gone so far as to frame one or two.

AdamBv1 (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 8:54am

I believe Amazon is Kickstarters preferred payment service as last time I donated to the Musopen project it was also funded through Amazon.

RadialSkid (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 11:23am

Free does not pay so well. Can we have your money to fund our propaganda?

The mantra of the copyright industries, in a nutshell.

The eejit (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 11:23am

Says the paid shill.

The eejit (profile), May 12th, 2011 @ 11:24am

Nice persona you have there. Would you like some more whine with your cheese?

Anonymous Coward, May 12th, 2011 @ 12:26pm

I'm not whining. I just don't find her comics to be funny or insightful. I agree with most of what Mike says on this site...I just think Nina's stuff is pretty poor. I apologize if that makes you hurt inside.

Anonymous Coward, May 12th, 2011 @ 12:59pm