Comcast CEO Thinks Its Customer Service Problem Is Mostly A Matter Of Scale

from the lack-of-competition-makes-bad-companies-even-worse dept

Comcast, which frequently makes yearly Worst Company in America lists, is trying to address its public image -- that being one of a corporate monstrosity borne from a lack of competition that extracts as much money from its customers as possible while offering the minimum it can, service-wise, in return.

In a recent interview, Comcast CEO Brian Roberts asserts the problem isn't so much that Comcast is an awful company, but that the size of its customer base makes even a small percentage of complaints seem like a never ending cascade of screwed customers.

"What unfortunately happens is we have about … 350 million interactions with consumers a year, between phone calls and truck calls. It may be over 400 million and that doesn't count any online interactions which I think is over a billion. You get one-tenth of one-percent bad experience, that's a lot of people – unacceptable. We have to be the best service provider or in the end, this company won't be what I want it to be."
Roberts is right. Even small pockets of discontent in a large customer base both exaggerate the size of the problem and are, as he puts it, "unacceptable." But this isn't simply a problem with scale. (A problem that will only exponentially increase if Comcast decides to purchase Time Warner Cable.) Comcast has made several moves over the years that have been fairly antagonistic towards its customer base.

And while the CEO is doing a bit of a goodwill tour, his company continues to makes moves that make Comcast seem even more evil.

First off, Comcast is looking to alter Nielson ratings in order to charge a premium for ads inserted into repeated episodes of TV shows -- a move aimed at capturing the "binge" viewer market.
"Comcast, the nation’s biggest cable provider, wants to count viewers who devour multiple episodes of shows, while giving the most current episode a ratings lift. The Philadelphia-based company is working with Nielsen to roll out on-demand commercial ratings, or C3, for participating networks."

Basically, Comcast wants to flip the current advertising system upsides-down and have older episodes of primetime shows carrying the same commercial load as the most recent episode. Right now, Nielsen gives ratings credit only if the commercial ad load remains identical to the original episode.
All well and good, except that the same article quotes Matt Strauss, the senior vice president of video services, as saying Comcast customers can kiss their DVR fast-forward button goodbye.
While digital video recorders and services such as Dish’s AutoHopper infuriate programmers because they allow for fast forwarding of ads, Comcast’s video on-demand services disable fast forwarding.

“The money being lost by people fast-forwarding commercials is in the billions,” said Strauss.
We can argue the semantics of using the word "lost" to describe something advertisers failed to capture all day long, but the bottom line is this: most customers hate commercials and they don't like them any better when they're made unskippable by cable companies. People pay a premium for DVR services. Telling them they can't do the one thing they'd most like to do is only going to increase the percentage of complaints.

DSLreports also points out that Comcast is still continuing its stealthy push towards capped broadband.
Comcast has slowly but surely been expanding their usage cap trials, predominately in less competitive Southern markets. Portions of Maine and Augusta, Georgia appear to be the latest market to face caps and overages. Augusta locals tell the local media they were surprised to suddenly see they had a 300 GB cap and had to pay $10 for every 50 GB they travel.
As usual, this is accompanied by spokespeople "informing" reporters that "most people" don't use that much data and that sneaking in usage caps is the "fairest" way to make sure data hogs don't use up all the internet (paraphrased). Of course, these caps have nothing to do with managing bandwidth. It's just a way to make users pay more for their services. Comcast may find that many people don't hit 300GB/month in usage now, but that's likely to change in the future as streaming services like Netflix increase in popularity, as well as console manufacturers making active pushes for digital delivery.

In the short run, this activity hurts Comcast's reputation while increasing its income only slightly. But if the foot's in the door, it can rake in huge amounts of cash once these users switch towards data-heavy streaming services. It's a long game, but one Comcast feels is well worth playing. Customers? Not so much. There's a dearth of competition in the broadband market, and providers will very likely adopt usage caps even in competitive markets if any provider has already proven they can be instituted with minimal effect to its customer base.

Comcast's CEO may be stinging a little from his company's poor reputation, but expressing a little concern in an interview doesn't do much towards mitigating the damage done by years of customer-unfriendly tactics. And, if these recent stories are any indication, there will be much more damage done in the future.

silverscarcat (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 5:52am

As much as...

I dislike G+ being forced on everyone...

I really hope that Google Fiber starts rolling out everywhere soon, put these jackwagons out of business.

Ninja (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 5:53am

Percentages are dangerous. Jewish people were a small percentage if compared to the rest of Germany. Albanians must be a very small percentage too.

At least he recognizes that it's unacceptable regardless of how tiny of a percentage the complaints are. Now easier said than done eh?

Ninja (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 5:58am

Re: As much as...

They are already throwing tantrums over the service alright ;)

4. This comment has been flagged by the community. Click here to show it

out_of_the_blue, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 5:59am

Weirdly targeted. Was Microsoft even considered?

The perennial WORST corporation in the world that affects the most people (at least a billion), actually charges for its bugs, directly causes extra expenses and staggering wastes of time from loss of service due to viruses besides stupid design, and doesn't get the title?

Then only possible conclusion is that Microsoft wasn't under consideration: Comcast is minor in comparison.

Civilization isn't just to have a few highly "efficient" corporations concentrating wealth: it's to provide FAIRNESS FOR ALL.

01:58:28[b-365-1] [ This suppresses the kids from fraud of using my screen name. ]

Rocco Maglio (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 6:15am

Obama parties with this Brian Roberts

It seems that when Obama takes his yearly vacation to Martha's Vineyard he stops by Brian Roberts house. They go golfing together. I don't foresee Comcast having any issues from this administration. It is becoming less about your product and more about who you know. I will not be surprised if they buy Time Warner and that is approved by this administration.

silverscarcat (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 6:19am

The worst company/corporation in America is EA, followed by Ticketmaster and Comcast.

Microsoft isn't even in the top 10.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 6:21am

" ... trying to address its public image"

Yes, this is certainly the best use of funds - you know, as opposed to actually improving your service.

Tim K (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 6:38am

Yep, I just got a call for the first time last month, saying I had 30gb of the 300gb limit left last month. I got no notification before that that there even was a cap on the data, and when I clicked on the link in the email from them to view my usage, it doesn't even take you to the right page! I couldn't even find it on their shitty site, and had to go with my ddwrt estimates of usage

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 6:38am

Re: As much as...

Where I live (and in many other municipalities)the rules would need to change. Cable service is a contractually guaranteed monopoly. And the last time any noise was made to change that, several local officials went on record stating how we are better of not being able to choose. No Google fiber for us...sigh.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 6:51am

Management largely tell people to do things, without knowing the details of of how to do them. Therefore it makes sense to management that telling people that they have an awesome company will make the company awesome.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 7:05am

They aren't called Comcrap for nothing...

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 7:11am

Wow, they're putting caps on how much data you can use now even though it's the same price for them?

I fear for the day when Verizon gets the same idiotic idea with FIOS.

out_of_the_blue, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 7:22am

Re: Weirdly targeted. Was Microsoft even considered?

Blue I am still interested in how you're little tag line suppresses anyone from fraud of your screen name.

You are the only person who knows what it means? Anybody can impersonate you!

03:21:00[b-365-2] [ This is some gay ass timestamp that only I understand, it wards off evil spirits I think ]

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 7:25am

Re: As much as...

The only way Google can make money is to be able to reach people. They may not want to be in the fiber business but may find themselves forced to do it to be able to get at their customer base 24/7

Ninja (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 7:29am

Re: Weirdly targeted. Was Microsoft even considered?

You can opt out Microsoft at any moment. Depending on where you live you can't opt out Comcast unless you want to be an hermit.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 8:07am

Maybe this is being pushed to turn cable services into a utility with usage meters on the side of your house .

doubledeej (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 8:40am

They are horrible

I have to use Comcast as my ISP because they're the only ones in my area that offer speeds over 1.5 Mbps. And it has been horrible.

Every day my connection drops at least a couple times. And it isn't my router. Comcast's own gateway device shows that the connection is lost, often for multiple minutes at a time. Comcast's techs reassure me that everything is fine and that there is nothing they can do.

Even when the connection is up, speeds are pretty inconsistent.

It isn't like I live in the middle of nowhere, either. Suburban area, population of 300,000... with our neighboring sister city even having fiber available to most of its residents, and my city having fiber available to about half.

Comcast needs to go to bat for their customers. We need to feel like Comcast is there to help and represent us, not be adversarial. Right now everything they do feels very anti-consumer. That's what needs to be fixed. A small percentage of their customers may be unhappy enough to be vocal, but I can't imagine that the rest are actually happy with the service they are receiving. It may very well be that none of their customers like them.

John Fenderson (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 8:44am

Comcast is one of the top

Comcast is in my top 5 "worst companies that I can't avoid doing business with". But I'm not sure they understand what makes them so awful. It's not the customer service -- there are lots of far worse companies on that front. It's their business practices.

TasMot (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 9:01am

They seem to think its positive, but EVERYONE I know who has Comcast has many many many Comcastic moments when it doesn't work. I telecommute full time and having cable Internet access is critical. I have a UPS on all my computers and networking components, I have a backup generator in case the power goes out, but I can't replace the Internet access when a Comcastic moment occurs. Well, there is at least another option in my neighborhood, I could subscribe to FIOS also and double my monthly cost (at least double). Everybody I know that is stuck with Comcast knows what I mean when I say that I'm having a Comcastic moment and that it ain't a good thing.....

TasMot (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 9:20am

Not Bad Service....

When I moved into my new house, it only took 13 truck visits to get cable TV and Internet working. There's no problem there.

Or, when a truck shows up at my neighbors house, then I have to call them out again because my service stops working.

Nope, no problem there.....

Namel3ss (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 9:20am

Don't forget Bank of America. They're beyond horrible.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 9:21am

Comcast's networking support is beyond awful

I've worked in support organizations, run support organizations, and used support organizations for decades...and Comcast's is one of the absolute worst imaginable. It's apparently designed to make it as difficult as possible to actually reach someone who will LISTEN to the problem description, THINK about the possible causes, and then REASON about diagnostic and repair procedures.

Even when it's possible to get to higher tiers of support, this continues. It's blindingly obvious that Comcast has filled its support centers with completely untrained people and then has directed them to "solve" issues as rapidly as possible, for a value of "solve" meaning "get the customer off the phone".

I would rather have dialup access than have to deal with Comcast.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 9:29am

You mean followed by Bank of America, THEN Comcast, THEN Ticketmaster.

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/08/worst-company-in-america-consolation-round-comcast-vs -ticketmaster/

I think though that that is the benchmark for truly bad customer service. It really says something (I mean it actually takes EFFORT) to be rated worse than TicketMaster in customer service. And Comcast has done this consistently for the last several years.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 9:32am

Re: Comcast is one of the top

A large portion of those business practices have a direct affect on their customer service though and that is what has gotten them the reputation that they have.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 9:37am

Re: Comcast's networking support is beyond awful

And many of the techs you speak to are beyond incompetent. Try to report an issue you detect with one of their DNS resolvers sometime. They will most likely try to walk you through a bunch of windows settings because the tech you speak with doesn't know what DNS is and only knows how to read from a script without any understanding of what the stuff they are reading means. And if you ask to speak to a Level 2 tech, they will likely just transfer you back into the queue so you have to start all over with another clueless Level 1 tech that has no clue what they are doing.

me@me.net, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 9:37am

The problem with the sucky customer service

is the sucky customer service

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 9:41am

Verizon is way ahead of that with a different approach. A good while ago they abandoned expansion of FIOS and at some point (when it needs massive repairs) they will abandon the existing services too, just like they are doing with their copper POTS lines so that they can offer you wireless services where data caps are already the norm.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 9:57am

I'm not sure if Comcast is so bad that it taints all other cable operators, or if they all suck pretty badly and Comcast is just the biggest of them.

Namel3ss (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 10:00am

Touche, AC. Maybe one day I'll share my BofA horror story of how I had to take them to court to prevent them wrongfully foreclosing on our house, but it's probably nothing you haven't already read before elsewhere.

I would not willingly do business with BofA ever again, under any circumstances, even if they were the last bank on earth. My mattress is far superior to those ass clowns.

weneedhelp (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 10:09am

Comcast blows

My parents recently and briefly had Comcrap. The new routers they give away only allow the use of external DNS servers thus breaking any internal name resolution. So while I can ping techdirt.com I cannot ping momslaptop or momsprinter. They wouldnt help me through normal helpdesk support and wanted to charge me for another tier support to basically tell me that the new routers do not point back to themselves but to an external DNS. They only switched because Comcrap had slick salesmen running door to door offering sweet deals. - BTW their first tier support sounded dumbfounded when presented with why the router was giving an external IP for the DNS and couldnt grasp how that broke the internal network.
    Comcast sucks because comcast sucks... not because it appears so because they have so many customers.

Namel3ss (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 10:10am

Probably both. I mean they all suck independently, because of no competition. No cable company ever saw a monopoly and captive audience they didn't like.

BUT... it always seems Comcast is the one that comes up with the really asshole-ish screw-the-customer-over-cuz-we-can-and-for-lulz schemes (data caps, throttling, bit torrent reset packet injection, not providing advertised speeds, etc.). And of course, the other operators fall in line right behind them because hey, why should Comcast have all the fun?

If Comcast really does buy Time Warner I am cancelling my service the day the sale is final. As bad as AT&T is, Comcast is worse.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 10:21am

After years of being a comcast customer (through no other broadband selections available) We finally had FIOS deployed.

As soon as I could switch I did. The joy of not being treated like a child every time I have to call for something technical is paramount.

Traffic shaping, outages, bandwith caps and crappy speed/price ratios (in addition to the clueless support people) really will make me never ever think of comcast again.

eroticreader, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 10:27am

you are preaching to the Choir, namel3ss. I would rather be an Amish luddite than deal with ComCrap.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 10:29am

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Oh for sure, BofA has definitely earned their position as well. I personally know of similar situations and I too refuse to do business with "Nazi Bank" as we refer to them as well.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 10:34am

Re: Comcast blows

That issue is not a difficult fix. You just set up a different subnet though another router (basically a double NAT setup) then configure that one to handle it however you want.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 10:57am

That's the problem, Mr. Roberts, we can't be entirely certain that you think anymore.

Maybe you should actually research the common causes of these complaints and how they are resolved. Then you can start 'thinking' what is 'right' to you again.

anonymouse, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 11:18am

Googs and friends

This is where the monopoly needs to go to if there is going to be a monopoly. Google needs to demand a complete monopoly for them and those they see as competitive in areas they service, cutting out any competition , then maybe after a few years of building infrastructure that provides their services Comcast and there ilk will be demanding monopoly is the last thing the country needs and even in the areas they have a monopoly Google can take over.

bshock, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 11:50am

just out of curiosity...

I'd like to do a very informal little survey here. Forgive me if it's so obviously skewed.

But is there anyone reading this who (a) currently uses Comcast for Internet services, and (b) finds Comcast's Internet service adequate?

John Fenderson (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 12:59pm

Re: just out of curiosity...

I use Comcast, and find their actual service "adequate" in that it works well enough for my purposes. However, it's not great. And it is incredibly overpriced. The nanosecond that I have another option, I'll ditch Comcast for it.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 1:50pm

Re: Re: just out of curiosity...

"My main beef with Comcast is that they insist on doing things that are harmful to the internet, to freedom, and to the business of providing internet service in general."

John, just wondering if you could clarify. Everything that I've seen them do is more BS than damaging. (Caps, DVR, etc...) I've talked a few times with John Brzozowski, one of the head engineers for Comcast. I've never really known them to be anything but pretty straight forward on the networking side of things.

Anonymous Coward, Dec 5th, 2013 @ 2:47pm

Re: Re: Comcast blows

Bad advice... NAT breaks enough things, that double NAT is just asking for trouble. Better option is to pick up a Modem/Bridge or set their equipment up for as a bridge and use your own router. It sounds like he's using a WINS server, and I would recommend upgrading to an actual DNS/OpenLDAP/AD setup.

Richard (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 3:03pm

Lies, damned lies, and... Comcast press releases and FAQs

"...spokespeople "informing" reporters that "most people" don't use that much data..."

From: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-average-network-usage

Top 5 Data Usage FAQs

What is the average usage of people on your network today?

XFINITY Internet customers’ median monthly data usage is 17 GB per month.

(emphasis added)

Now, class, let's review "measures of centrality" - mean (average), mode, and median. Mode is just the most frequently occurring value. Median is the value above and below which exactly half of the values fall. Mean is the numerical average. A small median can be entirely consistent with a very large mean. For instance, consider the set O = {0, 0, 1, 1000, 1000}. The median is 1 - half the values (the 0's) are below 1, and half (the 1000's) are above it. The mean on the other hand is about 400, quite a bit bigger than 1.

So, what does it mean when Comcast cites the median in response to questions about the average monthly use? Other than Comcast is lying, there's no way to be sure.

For related fun and games, check out...

TasMot (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 3:21pm

Re: Re: Re: Comcast blows

What I would suggest is that since Comcast charges $5.00 per month for their router (or $60 per year). Buy one of your own like a Buffalo router for $60. It will last 5 to 10 years and can be configured to your hearts desire AND save a lot of money in the long run. The Buffalo router comes with DNSmasq and DHCP, so it will work a Home network just fine with DNSmasq managing both the internal machines and forwarding to the external Internet when necessary.

John Fenderson (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 3:23pm

Re: Re: Re: Comcast blows

set their equipment up for as a bridge and use your own router

This is what I do. Why would I want to use their router??

John Fenderson (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 3:27pm

Re: Re: Re: just out of curiosity...

I'm not talking about their engineering, I'm talking about their political activities (lobbying in support of things that are trying to turn the internet into a lock-down broadcast medium, tiered internet, etc.), their pricing policies and usage caps, their monopolistic behavior in terms of actively working to keep any potential competitors out of the space, and so forth.

They are a pretty nasty company.

BeeAitch (profile), Dec 5th, 2013 @ 6:45pm

Re: Comcast blows

I'm just going to leave this and this here.

Mark, Dec 6th, 2013 @ 11:37am

Network Fees

Like it or not, cable TV networks make money in two ways: fees from cable companies, and advertising.

One reason that our cable bills have increased in recent years is that websites like this one, Facebook, the Times, the Post, and everything else are attracting ad dollars that used to go to TV. In reaction, programmers demand more in cable fees, which inevitably gets passed on to consumers.

Second, fast forward disable is annoying to consumers, but by promising that feature to programmers, the cable company has leverage to pay lower fees, thus preventing consumer prices from increasing as much.

Frankly, most of us want great programming, lots of it, low fees, and no ads. Common sense suggests these are not simultaneously achievable.

The Wanderer (profile), Dec 9th, 2013 @ 4:50pm

Re: just out of curiosity...

I have Comcast Internet access, and it's mostly pretty good.

We have had our horror stories in the past, primarily in recurring periods of ridiculous network latency which repeated rounds of techs couldn't figure out (partly because it often wasn't occurring while they were present), but they did eventually track it down and get it fixed - although it took a few months.

What we actually have is "Comcast Business Class" service. It's somewhat more expensive per month than what we had before (especially given that we have to get our cable TV as a separate package), but it lets us get a static external IP, it exempts us from BitTorrent restrictions AFAIK, and I think it also exempts us from monthly usage caps.

So their attempt to upsell people to higher price tiers is working in our case - but we get service that's at least mostly satisfactory, at a price we can still live with.

I still despise many of their larger policies, but I'm willing to believe that they do honestly care in most cases.

William Briskin, Jan 17th, 2014 @ 9:07am

Comcast is an awful company!!!

I don't think the scale of Comcast has anything to do with their horrible customer service. They have a monopoly in the Boynton Beach, FL market. There are no other choices. I have had Comcast service (bundled TV, phone & internet) since 2006 and it has not performed satisfactorily on a consistent basis since it was installed. Comcast Customer Service people are always nice but they are inept at resolving issues. I have had so many technicians at my home over the past 8 years and we continue to have issues every few months. If another option existed I would switch immediately. The worst thing is they charge you for a technician to come out to your home when their service is not performing satisfactorily and CEO Brian Roberts thinks his company is NOT awful. I think we have identified the biggest problem. The CEO is in denial!!!

Anonymous Coward, Jan 27th, 2014 @ 5:32pm

Comcast had very bad customer service!!!

I called them the 6th times and they could not fix their problems! I returned the Comcast cable modem and the local office told me that I was all settle. Then I saw the statement, keep saying that I need to pay the rental fee and later fee. I called for the 6th time and they still want to blame me and ask me to pay first. I simply could not take it. It's their fault and they want me to pay them first!

I would rather that they raise the price! But they try to sneak in these extra charge! The modem was given free to me and it's pretty old, and now they want to charge customers for the rental fee. It's simply cooked up by some people in Comcast to steal some money from its customers.

Al Chetti, Feb 4th, 2014 @ 6:16pm

Comcrap.....um, comcast

I've had at least 100 hours of bad communication with comcast, trying to fix things they messed up, like disconnecting my prepaid basic cable to extort money they think i owe! That's another issue...

I remember when TV was free and then advertising came along to defray costs. Why is it that now, we pay moron filled companies like comcast ridiculous amounts of money for TV, yet still are bombarded with commercials? Change the channel, commercial, change it again, commercial, over and over. It's more commercials than programming. You charge us for TV...NO COMMERCIALS!

Vickie, Feb 12th, 2014 @ 9:41pm

Re: As much as...

Are people even aware the Feds are posing as fronts for businesses such as xfinity is NOT Comcast. These are Feds teamed up with AT&T to destroy comcast with poor customer service and then people will go to uverse. It's all a big scam.

Vickie, Feb 12th, 2014 @ 9:49pm

Comcast Truth

Aren't people aware that the Feds have termed up with AT&T as fronts of other businesses to destroy them? Xfinity is NOT comcast. They took over to destroy Comcast so people will tirn to at@t. You are being watched and controlled in ways you cannot even fathom.

JUSTIN, Mar 5th, 2014 @ 9:52pm

HOW COMCAST SCREWED ME

I tried upgrading our service Jan 2014. this residence has been a customer for about 20 years with Comcast since 1994 when they bought out the local cable company. The first tech that came out was a Comcast technician who we had to reschedule with due to out outrageous pricing for redoing our inside wiring.
    After $400 of rewiring my house with cat 6 cable and high speed LAN and being promised a new out side drop line. I had to argue with a contractor to call his supervisor because the contractor that added an additional box split off the amplifier which caused our service to cut out even more than what it had before they started. The tech told us that the signal coming in to the house was -8 db when their spec was suppose to be -10 to+10 db. Even after i told the supervisor that the outside line had been damaged when tree branches fell on it multiple times and i had to rehang it and that our service had been cutting out before we upgraded and the original tech had told us that the line coming into the house would be replaced, I had to threaten to throw their equipment out into the street and cut down their wire from the pole to get him to agree to install the new outside line. After 3 days of waiting at home 8 am - 8 pm missing work and school the new line was installed and i still was loosing service.I tried using the better business bureau next. THIS IS COMPLETELY USELESS!!!!! TO GET A BBB RATING OF A+ COMPANIES ONLY NEED TO RESPOND EVEN IF THEIR RESPONSE IS TO TELL YOU SORRY YOUR S.O.L OR F.U. This got me a response that gave me my 7th work order number. They sent out a tech. I made him measure/test every out let after they cleaned up a rats nest of wire the first tech left hidden in our attic. ( Tech even took pictures to back bill the contractor that originally short-cutted our install. Dimetrea from Executive level care was responsible for this BBB complaint twice now she has tried to close the complaint with out verifying my issue was resolved. I was only issued 1 $25 credit for a missed visit when they had missed 3 days worth of appointments. and They claim I was issued a $45 credit toward my 1st months bill but that was part of the original promotional deal, Our first bill was $345 after their credits for phone internet and high def TV. This is no where near the advertised rate of $120 our next bill was $160 with taxes. Apparently no matter how much time they waste of yours its only worth $25. Their guarantee is completely worthless and is false advertising. Just like their ad claiming they our better than U verse and it old wires. They our using old wires just the same and even if you are at the bottom of their specification its good enough. If you want your equipment installed right ask the tech for their tech number if they give you a phone number kick them out of you house!!!! If you get a 4 digit number you can relax a little your equipment will be installed half ass right. And be prepared for them to try to talk over your head like your an idiot. This is the mistake 3 of the tech made. I am electronics tech my self! I had -8 db signal coming in to an amplifier and then split off on a 3 way slitter. This Crappy installation is acceptable to them!!!!!!

If you are having similar issues file complaint with the BBB 1st, the attorney general of your state 2nd and the FCC 3rd. There are many people out there trying to fight the monopoly of Comcast. If your like most people like me your choices are CRIME CAST OR SCREW VERSE. THIS IS CALLED A MONOPOLY AND IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE RESTRICTED AND REGULATED. SO WHY ARE WE FORCED TO CHOOSE BETWEEN LACK OF SERVICE AND NO SERVICE OR PAY OUT A$$ FOR SERVICE WE DON'T GET?

WE NEED TO JOIN TOGETHER TO FIGHT BACK!!! BEFORE COMCAST CONSUMES ALL AND WE ARE FORCED TO ABIDE!!!

if YOUR ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE IS WORTH A D@M# send THEM COMCAST'S GUARANTEE

AND EXPLAIN HOW YOUR EXPERIENCE HAS FAILED TO LIVE UP TO THEIR ADVERTISING

i AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE CORPORATE OLIGARCHY'S RULING OR WAY OF LIFE.

MOVETOAMEND.COM JOIN NOW AND SIGN THE PETITIONS TO FIGHT BACK AGAINST CORPORTOCARCY !!!!

pissedoffcustomer, Apr 14th, 2014 @ 6:52pm

Poor service

When you call a company for help because their on demand movies are not working (because not all HD movies are not being broadcasted in the same format HDMI vs Component) and the person answering the phone is too busy celebrating with their coworker that they reached their weekly goals, and when you ask to speak with a manager to get some service, and the manager makes up excuses and says they are having a party is why the rep couldn't help is inexcusable...then the rep hangs up because they don't want to deal with the call. I had to call back on three different occasions over two weeks before getting a rep that could try to solve the problem but in the end couldn't figure it out....still to this day...ridiculous.

Eye Know, Apr 14th, 2014 @ 9:38pm

Comcast

They are completely incompetent and don't give a damn. They are so busy running ads looking for more suckers, they don't even know when long time customers fire them. They are dishonest about what they are installing and won't help you after you realize you've been had.